• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just Realized How far I've Gotten

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I realized how far in the world of muzzleloading I've gotten.

I started out with an old, poorly made Kasnar kit rifle that had been taken care of poorly when I was 14. I had no idea about muzzleloading except that you pour powder down the barrel then a bullet and percussion cap. I thought my uncle knew quite a bit since he had a couple of muzzleloaders but now I've figured out that the stuff he shot in those guns and how little he cleaned them was wrong. So... I bought the bare necessities for shooting and a pound of pyrodex and went out the farm to shoot. Set up a board at about 25 yards, loaded 90 grains of pyrodex in this .45(my uncle told me to but got confused with .50) and the gun went POP...BOOM! I can still remember the smell of that smoke. That gun hung fire all the time because It was rarely cleaned. I used thin rimfire cleaning patches and rem oil as shooting patches and pushed the ball down with the dowel rod I made for under the gun. Needless to say it was a very "thumb startable" load. Then I would kinda clean it with a regular center fire rifle cleaning kit and hoppes smokeless powder solvent. My groups were attrocious but I thought they were ok enough to deer hunt with(glad I never took it hunting). Had to pull balls all the time because the gun simply wouldn't fire... imagine that :rotf:. I eventually started thinking it was all the gun's fault and I needed a new gun, which was mostly true since it made a CVA look like a custom built gun.

So I bought a traditions kentucky from here, and did have better accuracy. I still used poopodex and sort of cleaned it better but never cleaned the bolster drum with anything besides a pipe cleaner. I started using real shooting patches(pre cut) and had better accuracy even though I didn't like using tight loads so I only used a .010 patch. At this point I could pretty much consistently hit a paper plate at 50 yards. I cleaned the bore on this gun a lot better, but still bad compared to my standards now. I bought a fiber glass cleaning rod and an actual jag!!! My dad tried telling me not to buy a jag like that because he said there was no way it could take the cleaning patch back out of the bore :haha:. I improved my methods some and took my first muzzleloader deer with it that winter, so I was pretty happy. After all this I had done to the gun, it had no adverse effects on the conditions luckily.

I finally tried getting on the right path by cleaning it with WATER!!! I had been brain washed by my dad that if I cleaned with water that it would instantly rust the gun so I was very leery. (BTW, my dad had absolutely no experience w/ muzzleloading yet he always had a strong opinion for some reason) I started cleaning the gun with one of those tube things through the nipple and that worked well, only problem was it took me about an hour and a half to clean. Oh, and I put up quite a fight around the forum when they tried to get me to clean with water and use a steel range rod(Dave you know what I'm talking about :grin:)

Next step, I acquired a pound of goex black powder. And like my dad and hogdon told me, this stuff would rust my gun, too. It didn't and shot more accurate and reliable. I started cutting and lubing my own patching and my rifle started shooting about 1.5" groups at 50 yards benched with this tighter patching. I got tired of cleaning this full-stock gun which brought me to my favorite gun, my TC .50 renegade which is still my go to deer rifle.

Everything in this started getting a lot better when I started to trust the general consensus of opinions around here. Then on MOST things I proved my dad wrong with the results. I bought a flinter which I still fight a lot of the time but hopefully I'll keep getting better. Started shooting muzzleloading shotguns which made it so I pretty much only hunt with black powder the only exception being predators and sometimes turkeys. And now I'm even goin to my 1st rendezvous tomorrow. I'd just like to thank all of you around here that have given me advice and guided me through my muzzleloader journey, and would like to thank the guys at my club Indian Creek Muzzleloaders for giving me advice as well. I hope to keep putting my hunt pictures in the hunting section. Hopefully I'll be showin' you some squirrels and doves in August and September. I think taking up traditional muzzleloading has made me a much more ethical hunter, and conscious outdoorsman. I don't know where I would be right now if I didn't take up muzzleloading :thumbsup:.

A journey for sure, and folks with less grit might have thrown in the towel by now.
One thing about it, the actual hands-on experience you've gained will serve you well as you continue along...
:thumbsup:

You've been on an extremely fast learning
curve-glad you had an open mind for others ideas on this. :thumbsup:
I, sorta, had the same thing with my dad. He has a low numbered T/C Hawkens he "touched" a deer with. He was from then on convinced they couldn't kill a deer.......until I did! Since then, I confuse 'em all in camp with a flintlock. Usually, I'm the only one to make a harvest!

luie b said:
I still used poopodex...
Hahaha! That's got to be one of the funniest things I've seen on this forum so far!

Keep up the good work, and take it easy on 'ole Pops. Remember, he's a product of his learning. :wink:

1st Rendezvous,
hurray.gif
not_ripe.gif
, Hope you have a blast!!

It's been fun to watch your progress. There was a time when you really struggled, bein pulled in two directions and finally seeing the light.
I'm sure there's a bunch here that feel we helped "raise ya right".
I enjoy seeing your mentoring now with some of the questions here, because "we know from whence you came" and your words are from first hand experiance.
"You've come Far Pilgram"
"Where it worth the Trouble?"

Your ability to self-evaluate and reflect is a sign of maturity. :thumbsup: You apply that to everything else you do and life, and it makes it a lot easier.

Just think, Luie - in 40 years or so, you, the grizzled old Veteran, will be telling a bunch of green & wide-eyed up & coming shooters: "Yep...I remember...way back in '11...when I was only 16...this is how we did it..."

Your experiences are real & honorably won; you are on your way...

E

Good for you Luie! And good on this forum. When I started out with my first rifle my only guide was the Dixie Gun Works catalog. No Internet, no computers, heck, we barely had electricity. :haha:
My first rifle, a gift from a cousin, was a heavy beast of an old Ohio hog rifle in .36 caliber. I loaded it with buckshot from Dixie over an "estimated" 15 grains of powder arrived at by pouring powder over the ball until it was covered. Patches were whatever old rags my mom could spare. The breechplug was so loose I unscrewed it with my fingers every time I cleaned it. The nipple drum was so loose I wrapped the threads with sewing thread to get enough friction to hold the nipple in line with the hammer. I didn't know any better, but I guess my Gardian Angel was on duty.
Even with this forum available I think many people log on to ask a question or two, get answers more or less, and never come back because they got all they wanted to know and have no interest in learning more. They don't realize there are a lot of questions they never asked.

You have done so well in such a sort time Luie, I see you as an insperation to the youth and ML brethern of tomorrow, keep at it and ignore the infighting and ego driven arguments we old ferts have a tendency to envole ourselves in, you are much better than that, again congrats, enjoy the 'Vous and as always my best to you and yours and enjoy the journey.I also tip my hat to those on this forum who have helped guide you with solid factual answers to your questions along the way.

Louie,
I just wish I'd learned as much as you in as short a time. You've definitely done well, and I'm with several others here who have enjoyed watching it. One of the interesting parts for me was that most of the things that have given you trouble have given me the same headaches, but well worth it. And as to your dad, well, at least yours didnt tell you to quit messing with "those dangerous antique &(*&)(*&" and just go to the grocery store instead. Keep it up. :hatsoff:

I earned a few gray hairs dealing with you & water & range rods young man! Glad to see that you've done so well! All of us here are real proud of you and wish you all of the joy you can muster in your continuing use of & appreciation for the "Dark Arts" :thumbsup: :hatsoff: .

Continued success on your long & fruitful journey! Hope you have a really great time at the Rondy!

Dave

Had a good time at the rondy. It was raining half the time which is why I had some misfires with the flinter. I felt pretty good, though because hitting 6/15 targets I was actually one of the higher scores. The thing is the other non-indian creek muzzleloader people who shot and were camped at the rondy seemed to have not much knowledge on how to take care of their guns. You should've heard all the popping caps and hangfires. I would almost bet that of all shots fired half of their shots were hangfires or misfires of some sort. The even crazier part is that they had very nice camps and very ornate clothing and nice mocassins but couldn't take care of their T/C's and CVA guns properly. Let's just say the good old Indian Creek guys were the top scores of course. The guy in our club who had the camp set up brought an 8 year old kid who he gave some clothes to and a cva bobcat. I think he outshot me, too. But I was using my flinter and I could've outshot everyone with my capper. I didn't want to use my renegade because I figured I would need a more historically acurate gun but I was actually one of the most pc gun and gear. There was even a guy with a custom .36 flint longrifle who had hardly any idea how to use it. I'm not so great with flinters but even I was way more advanced than this guy.

Well they say rendezvouing is like riding a motorcycle. If you haven't done it in the rain you really havn't done it! Now you have really done it! Welcome to the wold of buckskinning!! :thumbsup:

Lucas,

There are four kinds of folks at a Rondy:

Some who really dress good and can't shoot or clean the rifle correctly.

Some who shoot & clean really well and don't dress that well (that's Me for now--I'm just learning the dressing part).

Some who shoot & clean good & dress good too!

Some who dress good and don't shoot at all, like trades people, women sewing clothes, etc.

You'll find all four types of people at a Rondy. The ones that don't clean the rifle good are easy to spot my friend, as you've no doubt seen & reported thusly.

Glad you enjoyed the Rondy! Good on You! Keep up the good work my young friend!

All the best!

Dave

To find the people that don't clean their guns good are easy to find cuz you just follow the sound of snapping caps :haha:

Or of dropping hammers since those that don't clean don't watch the condition of the nipples either. I have "repaired " many malfunctioning rifles by removing the nipple "sharpening" the edge on a piece of sand stone and replacing it. But I do this willingly so that the people will continue with the sport and hopefully learn to take better care of their guns. But some never do! I ran with whitetail for many many years and the last thing I did for him before he died was to clean up and repair all of his guns so that he would have something to leave his grandkids! :hmm:

luie b said:
To find the people that don't clean their guns good are easy to find cuz you just follow the sound of snapping caps :haha:

Yeah, I think that you're right there Lucas! And just after the cap snaps, all sorts of expletives are expelled at said rifles :idunno: :rotf: . One can learn a whole new vocabulary of cussin' when them rifles don't go bang when they're supposed to! :shocked2: .

I once had a good friend of mine hand me a loaded rifle and ask me to clean it since it wouldn't fire! After using a worm to pull the ball, I cleaned the rifle with Bore Shine and handed it back to him and told him to fire 3-4 caps off at the firing line to finish drying-out the flash channel. He was able to use the rifle the rest of the Rondy after I had cleaned it for him :haha: :) . I was glad to have helped a friend, and was repaid several times over with kindness of all sorts (food, blanket items, a knife, etc.). So being nice and helping is beneficial just like Ohio Ramrod said!

Dave

You have done well in a short time . As was said by others here , you"ll be one of the old ferts here before you know it . I"ve really enjoyed watching you progress from your first post .

:hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Back