• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jute Tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomatobodhi

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anyone waxed their tow for cushion/overwad or done something else to it to decrease the chance of throwing embers during drought/fireban weather?

I’ve never shot with tow, but I’d like change that.

I’ve also never started a wildfire, and I’d like to keep *that* the same.

Any tips regarding tow - jute or flax - would be appreciated.

When I use a wad/ball of jute tow, I always lube it with either a homemade mixture of beeswax and olive oil or spit. Sometimes both. I’ve never had a wad burn by doing this.

Also, I learned one shortcut not worth taking. I once (and only once) tried to push down a dry wad of jute tow, ball and another wad of jute tow all at the same time with no lube. I only did this once. It went halfway down and stopped. I won’t go into how I cleared it.

When I use a wad/ball of jute tow, I always lube it with either a homemade mixture of beeswax and olive oil or spit. Sometimes both. I’ve never had a wad burn by doing this.

Also, I learned one shortcut not worth taking. I once (and only once) tried to push down a dry wad of jute tow, ball and another wad of jute tow all at the same time with no lube. I only did this once. It went halfway down and stopped. I won’t go into how I cleared it.

Well said, Banjoman. It doesn't ever seem to want to all go down at once very well. I always ram the overpowder wad, then the ball, then overpowder all seperate.

To make it more fire resistant, mix up Borax in water, soak the tow, and let dry.
Using any type of grease would increase the chance of fire.

If you are shooting during a fire ban, I hope you get a nice big fine from the local cops. We've had around a million acres burn here in Montana so far this year. You would probably be hung forthwith if you were shooting in a closed area.

I usually close down my range a couple weeks before the forest service closes the woods. I don't even shoot a .22 in those conditions.

I disagree that grease increases fire risk. Hard lard doesn’t burn. In order to get it to burn it has to melt. The same principle as a candle.
A greased wad of tow can be caught on fire if you hold a match to it long enough to melt the grease so it lights.
Thinking of a 42” barrel that shoots a load that gets 1300 fps.
That means the average velocity of the load in the barrel is 750 fps. Your wad is only exposed to heat for 4/1000 of a second
Like passing your finger through a candle flame it’s not exposed to the heat long enough to melt the fat into a flammable substance

How do you explain smoldering patches?
I don’t know
Frayed edges
I can say in almost fifty years I’ve ever had a smoldering patch
I’ve heard of them, sure they happen
And if your in a tinder box and you start a fire don’t tell the judge tenngun said it was ok

I disagree that grease increases fire risk. Hard lard doesn’t burn. In order to get it to burn it has to melt. The same principle as a candle.
A greased wad of tow can be caught on fire if you hold a match to it long enough to melt the grease so it lights.
Thinking of a 42” barrel that shoots a load that gets 1300 fps.
That means the average velocity of the load in the barrel is 750 fps. Your wad is only exposed to heat for 4/1000 of a second
Like passing your finger through a candle flame it’s not exposed to the heat long enough to melt the fat into a flammable substance
Not that I wish to make an issue out of this but cold lard and the heat of the blast will liquefy the lard and you've got a big candle.

Not that I wish to make an issue out of this but cold lard and the heat of the blast will liquefy the lard and you've got a big candle.
Prehaps
And no it’s not worth the time of issue
But I don’t think exposure to the heat of burning powder for 4/1000 of a second is enough to melt the far
But maybe
In any case I’ve not had it happen to me
But if I’m in a tinder box I don’t shoot

Prehaps
And no it’s not worth the time of issue
But I don’t think exposure to the heat of burning powder for 4/1000 of a second is enough to melt the far
But maybe
In any case I’ve not had it happen to me
But if I’m in a tinder box I don’t shoot
I keep my range well mowed for that very reason. If it weren't so far for you to come to my range, I would invite you to my annual shoot on the 5th 0f Oct. Myself a some other muzzleloaders that you know will be shooting that weekend. got to get ready for the fall Fort.

Back