• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentuckian or Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjgonzalez

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Which is a better flintlock? The Armi Sport Kentuckian, or the Lyman Great Plains rifle?

Thanks,
Hazen's Nortch

+1 for the Great Plains! :thumbsup: Have had one over 20 years. VERY dependable and accurate.

Neither, a TC is better, if you are just shooting or hunting. You will spend lots of time making them work, the way they should, but if you have the patience, it will be a great learning experience, and the cost will surpass the TC's price, by the time they work right. It's all about the lock and powder, and how well they work. And we're not even talking about historically correct, which doesn't come into play here, Just proper operation.

Bill

Can't really say, never had either. Question for me would be am I interested in the Rocky Mtn. fur trade era or before? I've had the percussion GPR and had a great time with it. The Kentuckian could fit into any time period 1776+, purists would probably condemn you but 99% wouldn't know if it didn't fit. Either lock may need some work but reviews I've read seem to favor either. It's really your choice. If I had to choose, I'd probably pick the Kentuckian.

My .54 Great Plains flinter shot great right out of the box. Fine trigger. Good sparker. The only modifications I made were to replace the touch hole liner with a RMC liner and add a Lyman peep sight.

Like others, I have a .54 GPR flinter I built from a kit. The only thing I did was to drill the touch hole to 5/64th" and put the flint in bevel down. It is fast, reliable and very accurate out to 100 yards. It;s my main hunting rifle :thumbsup:

Agreed! I've owned both TC and the GPR. The GPR wins hands-down!!! GPR accuracy is phenominal!

I don't know the Armi Sport, but it will have to go some distance to beat the Lyman. If it can do so for less money, fine, but I think they'd be widely known and widely acclaimed if that was the case.

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
You will spend lots of time making them work, the way they should, but if you have the patience, it will be a great learning experience, and the cost will surpass the TC's price, by the time they work right.

Just curious here... What work is required to a GPR to make it work right that makes the total cost higher than the price of a T/C?

Just curious here... What work is required to a GPR to make it work right that makes the total cost higher than the price of a T/C?

[/quote]

I'd like to see the answer to this one also. In the case of all three of my GPRs, it was drill the flashhole to 1/16" and use actual flint instead of the agate it came with. The drill bit cost me less than $2 and did all three of them, and flints are actually cheaper than the agate, so cant complain there either.

I remember hearing T/C owners that used to use GPR flint locks, to make them them work better, before T/C made an improvement to their locks. I think some got a way with just using the Lyman frizzen.

I gotta agree with Dave Hoffman and go with the Kentuckian,I have one in 44 cal it not only is a tack driver but the wood to metal fit is great all of the furniture is brass and has about 35 years of patina on it it even has every screw head set parralell to each other . I don't know if they made them all that way or not but I sure like the looks of it. I doubt it weighs no more than about 5 pounds. I'm wondering what the price of each one is that might make the choice a little easyer to make.

I agree, As far a accuracy goes, you wont find a more accurate rifle at any price. I have shot against rifles costing well over $2k with all the different high end barrel manufacturers. The GPR will hold its own against any of them. My green mountain barrel is a dream to load and it very accurate but, I can't say it's any more so than my Lymann. It's just more nicely machined and the bore was like a mirror when I received it. No 200 rounds to shoot the Green Mountain in. :bow:

I have had both, the Kentuckian in flint and cap the LGP in cap putting PC/HC aside I would go with the LGP for hunting and a draw for trail walks the .44 Kentuckians flinter had a garbage lock metalurgy and geometry were issues that took a bit of fixing, both of my Kentuckians shot very well and were light weight but I found them to have a limited range of powder loads to be best for accuracy, I think it was a matter of rifleing depth, the larger bore options and powder loads would give the LGP the nod for hunting I cannot comment on the LGP in flint, if one is really into PC/HC I would look elsewhere unless doing a post 1840 thing and the LGP could fit there, the kentuckians are kind of short but might be passable for late 1800's or early 1900's as they are slim and nicer than CVAish types, IMHO

Back