• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky Kit Pistol Trigger Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capnballhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I love my KY kit pistol from Cabelas. Put a lot of work into the finish of the piece and the holster(I work two jobs, one is in a custom leather shop.) I get compliments on it all the time, shoots well enough.

The only thing is the trigger..it rattles around freely until fully cocked, then only rattles somewhat. Its the very simple brass trigger that came with the kit.

Mine isn't special, apparently most if not all the Traditions .50 KY pistols coming from Cabelas lately are like this and is not a flaw, just a crummy design. I've seen an online video where a man installed a spring behind it to keep it from rattling...

Is there a company out there producing a better trigger mechanism for this pistol that I can purchase? I may install the spring but am interested in an entirely new trigger if possible.

Anyone have experience with this issue? Thanks.

-Capnballhunter

All of those inexpensive pistols made by Traditions/CVA have that rattling trigger. It doesn't negatively effect accuracy as far as I can tell. If it really bugs you go ahead and change it. I am not aware of any replacements for them but you might find something that works on Track Of the Wolf web site. Good Luck.

Don

In my experience all of the non-set triggers rattle some. I am not familiar with the kit you built - is the trigger in a trigger plate, or just pinned in the wood? The triggers in a plate are slightly tighter, but still rattle. The only thing that TOTW sells that would solve the rattling problem is TR-LR-SST-C, which is a single set trigger, costs $66, and would be extremely difficult to install. It seems to me that the spring would be the best solution.

JMHO,
Alan

Just a few things to think about:

There have been a few people who didn't like the rattle so they messed with the trigger and the sear release arm on the lock.

They managed to eliminate the rattle but in the process they created a dangerous gun.

Although it is annoying, the rattling trigger is a good thing.
It is saying the sear is fully engaged with the full or half cock notch on the tumbler. That is safe to use.

Adjusting the trigger/sear arm so the trigger blade is always pushing against the sear arm will eliminate the rattle but it can keep the sear from fully engaging the tumbler notches. That is unsafe.

Putting a very light weight spring that has almost no pressure into the trigger to hold it forward, is safe.

Putting a heavy spring into the trigger that holds it in the pulled direction is unsafe.

I believe you will discover you get used to it and it doesn't bother you anymore. You could replace just the trigger with one of many single pinned designs and then you can file down the trigger bar to fit closer to the sear arm. Use the original trigger plate, replace the trigger only. I did that very same thing on a rifle I built for my son using mostly CVA Kentucky parts.

Hi,
On roughly made production and hand made guns, the trigger rattle is common. It happens because the sear bar moves up or down during cocking. Often it is worst when the gun is uncocked because the sear nose is not slipped into a notch on the tumbler and consequently the bar of the sear is pushed up high. When the sear slips into the deep half cock notch, the tail of the sear drops down to its lowest point. Then at full cock, the sear nose slips into a shallower notch on the tumbler and the tail lifts up a little but not as much as when uncocked. To eliminate this, the lock tumbler is shaped on good locks such that movement of the sear tail is kept to a minimum. Then fitting a trigger that keeps slight pressure on the sear at each stage of cocking can eliminate the rattle. Custom guns made by skilled smiths usually do not rattle. In your case, a thin flat spring anchored to the trigger plate behind the trigger and pushing up on the trigger bar will eliminate the rattle, but it must be weak so that it does not affect how the sear engages the tumbler.

dave

Back