• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a Kibler Brown Bess kit?

• Yes

Votes: 89 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 29.4%

• Total voters
Squint your eyes and it looks like a future Kibler Kings Musket!

Attachments

• Kings musket in action.png
    Kings musket in action.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
It would be great to have a Brown Bess in 20 gauge. He already has 20 gauge smoothbore barrels for his new smoothbore line. A more effective roundball with less lead to waste.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
It would be great to have a Brown Bess in 20 gauge. He already had the smoothbore barrels for his new smoothbore line. A more effective roundball with less lead to waste.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Sounds just like a 1760 Light Infantry Fusil, which would be good for early AWI.

Last edited:
Well what Jim actually actually asked was in the context of the 250th Anniversary coming up if there would be interest in an AWI era Brown Bess, which, to my mind at least, would eliminate anything that’s not a Brown Bess from contention. 🤔

Beyond that, it should realistically also eliminate the Third Model Bess, and narrowly limit the appeal of the Second Model Bess unless you are a British reenactor, or you want to try to argue that you have a “battlefield pickup”, or you’re kitbashing it into a COS or militia musket.

So that really leaves only the Long Land patterns, 1730/40, 1742, and 1756. The patterns 1742 and 1756 would likely be the most common on the US side in the AWI. But the 1730/40 or maybe the 1742 gets my vote because you could probably get away with using it for F&I era as well. Choice of wood or steel ramrod would be 🤌.

YMMV…

Last edited:
Well what Jim actually ACTUALLY asked was if there would be interest in an AWI era Brown Bess given the upcoming anniversary, which, to my mind at least, would eliminate anything that’s not a Brown Bess from contention. 🤔

Beyond that, it also eliminates the Third Model Bess, and narrowly limits use of the Second Model Bess unless you are a British reenactor, or you want to try to argue that you have a “battlefield pickup”, or you’re kitbashing it into a COS or militia musket. So that leaves only the Long Land patterns, 1730/40, 1742, and 1756. The patterns 1742 and 1756 would be the most common on the US side in the AWI. The 30/40 or 1742 gets my vote because you could probably get away with using it for F&I era as well. Choice of wood or steel ramrod would be 🤌.

YMMV…
The 1756 was the current version used by the British troops in 1775. The 1769 came over with the first big push. The 1777 was also here shortly after introduction. The American war caused a massive build up and greatly strained the Ordnance system. The antiquated overarching 1,2&3 model system really does need to be dropped at this point.

Why would anyone make a Bess when they could make a Charleville?

There are preferences for both, it’s not an either or scenario. Each has some advantages over the other. For reproducing it Navy Arms offered an excellent 1763/66 Charleville that is still going strong nearly 50 years after its initial introduction.

The company that made those Miroku made an excellent lock, barrel and hardware. Where they cut some of the costs was in the stock which was made of some very low quality birch. I know for a fact that most people that have these guns desperately want to restock them into a higher quality wood. They were absolutely very popular and still are today. There is a huge market void for those as well.

My thought on it though is a long land Bess would certainly be more desirable amongst the reenactment community headed into the 250th, the charlevilles will still be there and desirable long after that.

For the same reasons many Rev War troops ditched their French guns when they had a chance to pick up a captured Bess.

Soldiers could just ditch their Charleville for a Bess ?

When you have to report for inspection what do you tell the armor where your charleville is that congress purchased on credit ? Laying on the battlefield next to a dead redcoat?

I doubt it happened that way, there would have been consequences to the soldier and they very much preferred charlevilles over the Bess simply because they were much lighter.

Either way my vote is for a long land brown Bess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back