• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a Kibler Brown Bess kit?

• Yes

Votes: 89 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 29.4%

• Total voters
I’d support a .75 wholloper with backing of Kibler quality. I’d really love to see a 1795 Springfield kit. As an Infantryman once and young, I always wanted to have the original “crossed rifle” and having put together a Woodsrunner, and a soon a Fowler (eta next week! 😁) I can’t think of a company I could better entrust to do it justice!

Jim Kibler asked the question on if he should consider offering a Brown Bess musket kit in the future. I am making this poll to further the discussion. What are your thoughts on the matter? Would you like seeing one? And if so, which model of Bess would you be interested in?

-Smokey
Long land pattern. Would prefer a Charly though

Bombay is reeling at the thought of quality Musketts from Kibler
Two different animals - I like Indian Muskets at least those imported by Loyalist. The price difference is large. I would go for Kibler as it would be the most historically accurate and of the highest quality. As I am getting old - it would likely be the last and i would have to clear some out of my safe to buy.

I would not want a Bess. But as others have said, I'd certainly buy a flintlock pistol kit. Like his rifles, a pistol would be an item to use, display, and pass on to family. Most every home has room for one and it would be so nice for inheritors to explain its origin to visitors. And I can see myself carrying a pistol, particularly one that matches my Kibler rifle, when I head to the wildwood. Where legal, what a companion it would be if in the same caliber as the rifle. Also, how handy to still be armed authentically if you find a need to be a few steps away from the rifle if you have a need to be busy with with a camp chore or whatever. One more advantage: I have become a bit lazy in the woods. After killing a deer, the right thing to do is to reload before going to fetch it, but if I know the shot was good and the animal is down, I don't reload before going to get it because that necessitates firing the gun again to unload it, but with the pistol, I would not have to do that because I'd still have a loaded weapon "just in case." I didn't even mention the fun to be had with a pistol.

For the 250th anniversary of the Revolution, the Bess could simply be made exactly like the ones being made on July 4, 1776.
There were two patterns being made at that point. One a long land, P1756, the other a short land, P1769.

And why all the love for pistols over long guns? I’m sure that if Jim made a historically accurate common mass produced pistol of the era, most would be upset. They were more often than not smoothbore and just as likely to have no sights. They were usually seen as a back up option to the sword.

If kibler quality lives up to it's reputation he would need to lower it to military grade to be historically correct.

Before seeing another manufacturer making another bess I would like to see something Spanish. Historically they were all over America and your only options are extremely limited from India or custom from TRS.
Very few people reenact Spanish, so not likely it will have to come from your friends in the sub continent.

The Brown Bess has been done already. I'd rather see (but probably won't live to see it) an American pattern gun.

I do know this. If Jim made it, it would be accurate, and function much better than the original.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Latest posts

Back