• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Carved Woodsrunner Wood Choice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering a Kibler Woodsrunner with the carved option. Which wood choice would you recommend and why? Thanks....

Note: I already have a SMR in walnut and a Colonial in fancy maple, and both those wood choices turned out very nice. I have no experience with finishing carved wood. I've done some other wood projects using cherry, but not carved.

Hi,
I suggest using maple just not a piece with a lot of figure. Carving on most black walnut kind of gets lost in the cold dark recesses of the wood and cherry would look OK but maple would be stronger and more appropriate for the gun. When finishing around carving, particularly incised carving, you have to be very careful the finish does not clog the lines, corners, or edges. The best finishes are those you apply, let sit for a few minutes, and then wipe off thoroughly. Get in every nook and cranny. Sometimes a tooth brush can help get finish out of the incised carving. All carving looks better with a low to medium sheen finish. A shiny finish ruins it. I don't know if Jim adds lock panel, ramrod groove, or butt stock moldings to his CNC carving. If he doesn't, I urge you to do those things because the gun will look incomplete if you don't. Good luck.

dave

I think the carving looks fine with fancy maple.
E6E86B4C-EDA6-4CAD-A14B-59D87FEEE295.jpeg

I’m a Neanderthal when it comes to photo stuff. My kids gave me a solar powered calculator, and I have a flip phone. Even working this thing is a mental stretch for me…. But for me, I do think it’s beautiful.😎

Back