• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler colonial question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that have put together the colonial, approximately how long did it take? Obviously everyone has different experience levels but just as a general idea.
About 4 weeks. Needed to order tools and other supplies

What kind of stain/finish did you guys use ? And do you have pictures? I’m not sure what finish I’m going to use. I have a gorgeous maple stock.
I ordered aquafortis. The color light brown with the curl grain turning dark brown. I also built a half stock rifle and used transtint reddish brown by itself. Transtint is great.

Len, can you tell me what grade of maple on that beautiful rifle you built. I'm thinking on ordering a SMR from Jim, but haven't decided on what grade maple to order. mostly for squirrel hunting.
Thanks

Mine is iron nitrate and permalyn, did not really like the permalyn, going to try the Jim Chambers oil on the next build.
Use Birchwood Casey's "TRU-OIL" I have tried other products, but stuck with the True-Oil for 48 yrs!

Len, can you tell me what grade of maple on that beautiful rifle you built. I'm thinking on ordering a SMR from Jim, but haven't decided on what grade maple to order. mostly for squirrel hunting.
Thanks
Fancy, $100.00 upgrade.

I put one together in about 8 hours. Two additional weeks for stain, finish and metal. Wood and metal lightly antiqued.
CCC6147C-1929-4F5E-8ED1-8AD8FEB3C718.jpeg
0267BA69-16A4-4682-AD62-2EE80E5A63EB.jpeg

Those are some gorgeous rifles!! I love the grain! They really pop!! I’m thinking of using the tannic acid in addition to the Aqua fortis. So many nice looking guns it’s hard to decide on which finish to use. I ordered the extra fancy maple stock so I really want to exaggerate the grain on the stock when it’s finished!!

My 58 Colonial arrived yesterday!!

The quality is excellent. Would love to do some carving but this is my first build. Going to focus on getting it built right first. The inletting for the sideplate and thimbles is spot on, they snapped right in place. The lock needs to be deepened a little.

Finish on the barrel is smooth, not sure it will need draw filing just some sandpaper clean up. The lock is awesome, finished well. Had to snap it a couple times to watch the sparks!!

Let the fun begin!!

Don

Looks like mine shipped yesterday!! Hopefully it will make it here for an early Christmas present!!!

Latest posts

Back