• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler percussion conversion ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning I believe I read where someone has converted the Kibler Ketland lock to percussion. There wasn't a lot of information but pictures. It looked really nice and simple. Did anyone else see this..? Or was my coffee to strong..? If it could be a simple fix. It might just go over real well. Your thoughts..?

This morning I believe I read where someone has converted the Kibler Ketland lock to percussion. There wasn't a lot of information but pictures. It looked really nice and simple. Did anyone else see this..? Or was my coffee to strong..? If it could be a simple fix. It might just go over real well. Your thoughts..?
i saw the pictures on FB. Looked well done

Why, fixing something not broke. One of the best flintlocks out there.
Because some folks don’t want a flintlock. I be one of them. 😁

Indeed, I have been actively engaging looking into this. The conversation picture I’ve seen looks well done.

I would have purchased a Kibler a while ago if they offered a percussion.

ETipp I wonder if the fellow will come out with details on the conversion ?
Also a LOT of people want a percussion lock. The gun Kibler copied his SMR from was a percussion. So that is that. This person used the same lock plate and I believe internals. So it might not be as hard to do as many think. I know Dixie gun works did it way back in the 1970s. I believe they at the time offered two interchangeable locks with their Mountain rifle. So it can be done.

If you like it fine, your choice. I hate conversions! Just someone's round about way to arrive at a cross/change in ignition systems.
Larry

I have asked Kibler about a potential factory percussion lock for SMR a week ago, and haven't heard a response back yet. I love my SMR flint gun and would love a exact copy of it in percussion. Then I can shoot basically the same rifle in 2 different class flint and percussion and have everything that feels about the same from rifle stand point. I am hoping when the percussion lock comes out on Hawken rifle (next in line from Kibler) the percussion lock for SMR comes out too. Could just be hoping on my part too.

Last edited:
I have done a couple of switch locks for people with the CVA etc type bolster system and it is very easy to do. the hardest part is making the lock fit the inletting that is on the original gun as purchased all the fitting has to be on the new lock. And then creating a drum that will thread into the same hole as the liner and be repeatable each time they switch back and forth, and not get sloppy. doing it once in either direction is easy being repeatable is where the skill comes in.

Years ago I had a .32 cal. flinter in the Bedford Co. style, lock wasn't very good, couldn't get a spark for nothing! I took it to a great builder in the Lehigh Valley area, George Dech and he converted it to percussion, worked great after that but that would be the only reason to have one converted in my mind.

I think a conversion would be a good idea and a popular one too. There's nothing wrong or anything to be ashamed about with a conversion there were a lot of them back in the day. Sharps even converted percussion rifles to cartridge and nobody much thinks bad about them.

Track of the wolf and Connecticut Valley Arms and I think Pecatonia muzzleloaders offer kits in percussion along the same general style as the Flintlock Kiblers. Why not just build a purpose made kit in your favorite ignition?

I get the urge to change stuff and having switched back n forth , in my experience, the original oem is ruined beyond fixing ... my experience there.

I fully understand and appreciate Jim Kiblers rational for being a flintlock only (at the time) business. It appears as if he is running at capacity as it is and everything seems to be working fine. Flintlock folks like them and they are high quality. Nothing broken with Kiblers business model. The man knows his business.

I’m also of the opinion that there was a darn good reason why many flintlocks were converted back in the day to percussions after percussion caps became available. Flintlocks were seldom produced or seen after that. Yet percussion rifles were still muzzleloaders and remained that way until cartridge and breech rifles became available.

As I have said many times, flintlocks are not for everyone and I happen to be one of such. Make no mistake about it, percussion locks are an improvement over flintlocks. If that were not the case then percussion locks would not have become so popular in such a short amount of time from about 1830 onwards. It’s now all about nostalgia.

I find it sad that we are so limited in the traditional muzzleloader world today, but it is what it is and nothing I can say will change that.

Last edited:
You weren't dreaming! It looks like converting the Kibler Ketland lock to percussion is definitely a thing that people have done. Some folks have cut away the pan and installed a percussion hammer, added a drum and nipple, or used the internals from a percussion version of the same lock.

Conversions certainly can be done. Pictured is a conversion of an L&R Manton Flint lock to percussion. It was the lock on my SMR. It was just too unique and the price was right. Then I did make the conversion back to flint.

1716984040672.jpeg

So, yes, such conversions as my SMR was a flint lock before the conversion.

I guess I am the odd man out. I really like conversion pieces. Especially antique military conversions. A cone-in-barrel 1816 conversion that was done well just looks awesome to me.

It would not be hard to convert a Kibler rifle. You would just have to sacrifice a lock plate. 32 TPI grade 8 bolts are available from McMaster-Carr, and with just a small amount of cutting, drilling, and tapping, you have yourself a powder drum. Find a hammer style you like with a 1.5" throw, and you are set.

Back