• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler percussion conversion ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawkens are a favorite of mine no doubt. But the older I get Im picking up the lighter guns more. I love the Woodsrunner I have and if I had a choice for a new pecussion from Kibler (which I dont) Id love to see the Woodsrunner in percussion.

It would not be that difficult to alter the flintlock in a neat convertion. You could buy an entirely separate SMR and modify it percussion. You may want to request the barrel not be drilled and threaded for the touch hole liner. That way a drum and nipple could be fitted and aligned with the lock without working around the touch hole.
You could also buy just a barrel and a lock to convert and fit up to same stock as flinter, but I think you'd be better off to build a separate rifle.

Oh crud!!!!

You may actually have to use a different size! The horrors!
I may be wrong in this statement.
I believe someone could buy a 3/8-24 drum, and make it a 5/16-32 to fit the touch hole in the barrel.
Jim suggested using a rod and make your own drum...

A little work, probably some Horrors.

I fully understand and appreciate Jim Kiblers rational for being a flintlock only (at the time) business. It appears as if he is running at capacity as it is and everything seems to be working fine. Flintlock folks like them and they are high quality. Nothing broken with Kiblers business model. The man knows his business.

I’m also of the opinion that there was a darn good reason why many flintlocks were converted back in the day to percussions after percussion caps became available. Flintlocks were seldom produced or seen after that. Yet percussion rifles were still muzzleloaders and remained that way until cartridge and breech rifles became available.

As I have said many times, flintlocks are not for everyone and I happen to be one of such. Make no mistake about it, percussion locks are an improvement over flintlocks. If that were not the case then percussion locks would not have become so popular in such a short amount of time from about 1830 onwards. It’s now all about nostalgia.

I find it sad that we are so limited in the traditional muzzleloader world today, but it is what it is and nothing I can say will change that.
Just remember (history repeats itself) I can remember when caps were cheap (AND available ) HA !

So, we don't have any current plans to make a percussion option. All I can say is that it might happen someday, but that someday is probably a LONG ways away.
Conversion kits for your existing lines if practical would be overly welcomed by many on these forums and others I see and a potential winfall to your bottom line. This thread makes me wonder why no one has done it yet.
I'll stick with the flintlocks though. If my flint gets dull I can sharpen or pick up an appropriate rock and make another. If I run out of caps or materials to make more I'm screwed.

So, we don't have any current plans to make a percussion option. All I can say is that it might happen someday, but that someday is probably a LONG ways away.
Conversion kits for your existing lines if practical would be overly welcomed by many on these forums and others I see and a potential winfall to your bottom line. This thread makes me wonder why no one has done it yet.
I'll stick with the flintlocks though. If my flint gets dull I can sharpen or pick up an appropriate rock and make another. If I run out of caps or materials to make more I'm screwed.

The problem with offering a conversion kit is that someone will convert it back and forth about 20 times. What will happen is the threaded drum will become loose after a while and over index and it would not be good. A 5/16 x 32 thread drum (if someone made such a beast) wouldn't stand up to the constant in and out and tightening. If a guy converted it and used Loctite on the drum threads permanently it would be ok. You could sell the Kibler flintlock for good money.

If I was to convert one which I'm not, it would be permanent. I would use a 3/8 x 24 threaded drum, the kind that is blank with no nipple hole. That way you can tighten it up permanently and sealed in with Loctite and use TOW's drill jig to locate and index the nipple. Then you would have to booger up a perfectly good flintlock to make the percussion lock. Saw off the pan. Remove the frizzen and spring. Relocate the mainspring seat to lower the mainspring pressure as the Kibler is a strong one that makes good sparks but would batter a nipple as said above. Grind the notch for the drum and making sure the notch supports the drum. Either find a percussion hammer with the correct throw distance and angle or easier to make a percussion thingy to clamp in the jaws of the flint cock.

If I were in the market for a percussion long rifle, there are plenty good ones out there for sale.

Bob

Is this an announcement? ;)
About 3 years ago, I had commented in one of Jim's YT vids if he had considered a Hawken, and he said that it would be coming someday, so not entirely new news, but at least it confirms that his plans didn't get scrapped over that span of time, just delayed a bit...;)

Years ago I had a .32 cal. flinter in the Bedford Co. style, lock wasn't very good, couldn't get a spark for nothing! I took it to a great builder in the Lehigh Valley area, George Dech and he converted it to percussion, worked great after that but that would be the only reason to have one converted in my mind.
My old boss in the pressroom (who converted this then innocent 10 yr old paper boy) had a really sweet CVA Mt rifle he tried to sell me for $65.00 I wouldn't bite as it had never been fired and the firing was attempted many hundreds of times. I had no clue one could get a frizzen or entire lock for it. Asked him about it a few years ago and he had sold almost all his BP to some other guy. Sure wished I had this forum at age 10 (that would have been weird though since there was no public PC of any kind available LOL).

Back