• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler percussion conversion ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversion kits for your existing lines if practical would be overly welcomed by many on these forums and others I see and a potential winfall to your bottom line. This thread makes me wonder why no one has done it yet.
I'll stick with the flintlocks though. If my flint gets dull I can sharpen or pick up an appropriate rock and make another. If I run out of caps or materials to make more I'm screwed.
And powder and shot? Stock up on whatever one needs, bro, and not worry about having to pick up rocks. :)

To be clear, I am, and have been, seriously considering a flintlock squirrel rifle. However, it will be with the plans on converting it to a percussion ASAP. It appears as if Kibler is the only one out there that builds high quality, SMR rifle kits for an affordable price. If that's what it takes to find a high quality, affordable, accurate ML that I like, then so be it. A conversion to a percussion will be done if at all possible.

And powder and shot? Stock up on whatever one needs, bro, and not worry about having to pick up rocks. :)
I am quite well stocked up on provisions. Once I acquire the fourth model of Kibler even more so. Having finally tasted the sweetness that is a quality flintlock I do believe caps are an unnecessary expense and are surely a fad that have about run their course ;)

I am quite well stocked up on provisions. Once I acquire the fourth model of Kibler even more so. Having finally tasted the sweetness that is a quality flintlock I do believe caps are an unnecessary expense and are surely a fad that have about run their course ;)

Now that’s funny.

I reckon you actually do walk around, pick up flints and nap them yourself. Good on you for doing so.

And about that stocking up thing. 😁

When I posted this, I wasn't looking for a debate on flint verse percussion. Your choice is yours an I could careless.
Now for the statement that people will be switching the lock out over an over I doubt it.
Now back to the original question of availability of parts to do the conversion. Also the main spring can be drawn down. So the hammer doesn't hit the nipple so hard to flatten it.
By the way ETipp look up Christopher Walker on the ALR site. He will build you a really nice Tennessee rifle for a decent and fare price. Left or right handed.

When I posted this, I wasn't looking for a debate on flint verse percussion. ,,, Now back to the original question of availability of parts to do the conversion. ,,,

mikesto44, Not his Ketland, but similar conversion with his big lock, from another forum:

kib.jpg

ETA: RE> "...availability of parts to do the conversion..." > Looks like all you need is a drum, nipple, and cleanout screw, and the applicable tools. TOW, DGW, etc got you covered there. Keep me informed if you do one.

ETA2: LOL of course you need a percussion hammer! (missed that)

Last edited:
When I posted this, I wasn't looking for a debate on flint verse percussion. Your choice is yours an I could careless.
Now for the statement that people will be switching the lock out over an over I doubt it.
Now back to the original question of availability of parts to do the conversion. Also the main spring can be drawn down. So the hammer doesn't hit the nipple so hard to flatten it.
By the way ETipp look up Christopher Walker on the ALR site. He will build you a really nice Tennessee rifle for a decent and fare price. Left or right handed.
I wasn’t looking for a debate on caps Vs flintlocks either and when I first read the thread, I was hoping that it wouldn’t come down to that. However, some flintlock folks cannot let well enough be. It is, indeed, about a conversion, which I’m all for. Converting one should not be contingent upon the approval of others.

This is a good and informative thread. I’m hoping more information will be brought forward for all to see and use.

I’m all for Kibler ML’s and I’m actively in the process of finding a way, or someone, that will make the conversion happen.

I will look into the recommendation on Walker. Thank you for the information.

Last edited:
I like this thread.
I like this post.
I have a .32 Kibler SMR and I love it.
I just started shooting flintlock less than a year ago I think they're great fun and it gave me some new challenges.

I will buy a .36 barrel and a lock and I will do my best to convert it. Mostly just to do it and I like percussion. I will not change it back and forth. Time will tell.

Thank for this tread.

Take Care Stay Safe.

mikesto44, Not his Ketland, but similar conversion with his big lock, from another forum:

View attachment 325234

ETA: RE> "...availability of parts to do the conversion..." > Looks like all you need is a drum, nipple, and cleanout screw, and the applicable tools. TOW, DGW, etc got you covered there. Keep me informed if you do one.
Looks nicely done.

Now that’s funny.

I reckon you actually do walk around, pick up flints and nap them yourself. Good on you for doing so.

And about that stocking up thing. 😁
I actually walk around looking for native artifacts. The useable pieces for flints are incidental but quite welcome and add up quickly. The nicest finds from the last couple outings.
IMG_20240604_174740033.jpg

If people would take the time to study original guns. They will learn that all types were converted to percussion. Everything from the Brown Bess to Tennessee style guns. Maybe one of our lock building people will chime in.
ETipp I'll try an get you Chris's information.

If people would take the time to study original guns. They will learn that all types were converted to percussion. Everything from the Brown Bess to Tennessee style guns. Maybe one of our lock building people will chime in.
ETipp I'll try an get you Chris's information.
Agreed.

Thank you, Mike.

While a cool conversion, percussion long rifles just look plain. I have one and the flintlock just looks way better. Plus you look “more cool” when you shoot a flinter. Hahaha

While a cool conversion, percussion long rifles just look plain. I have one and the flintlock just looks way better. Plus you look “more cool” when you shoot a flinter. Hahaha

A reliable and plain woman rifle is better than a pretty and untrustworthy one.

ETA: Whoops, sorry, corrected the Freudian slip 🥴

Back