• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kicks like a MULE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Finished my Tenn. rifle with an A weight Southern Classic barrel in 50 cal. This gun only weighs about 6.5 pounds and with only 55 gr of Swiss 2F it's got my shoulder black and blue after about 60 shots over the last few days. Anyone have any ideas to help with this other than cutting he charge, I've dropped it 10gr from 65 and anymore I feel would affect the accuracy which I'm just getting dialed in. How to shoot more and hurt less is what I' looking for. :cool:
Thanks Phil

Finished my Tenn. rifle with an A weight Southern Classic barrel in 50 cal. This gun only weighs about 6.5 pounds and with only 55 gr of Swiss 2F it's got my shoulder black and blue after about 60 shots over the last few days. Anyone have any ideas to help with this other than cutting he charge, I've dropped it 10gr from 65 and anymore I feel would affect the accuracy which I'm just getting dialed in. How to shoot more and hurt less is what I' looking for. :cool:
Thanks Phil
If it’s a Tennessee style butt with the very deep concave plate, it should rest against your upper arm, not against your actual shoulder like a conventional rifle.
That might help 😉

Thanks Phil
That is a tough one to help with. Not seeing your buttplate and what little I know about a Tenn rifle I assume you have a narrow BP. When you have small surface bearing on meat (your shoulder) it bites pretty good. I suggest you pad your shoulder. Having a recoil pad is a definite no go. Davy C would not approve.
Good luck
Larry

If it’s a Tennessee style butt with the very deep concave plate, it should rest against your upper arm, not against your actual shoulder like a conventional rifle.
That might help 😉
Yes it does have the deep buttplate and I have been shooting it like it should be, maybe I need more meat on my upper arm.:oops:

What grade of powder are you using? I have a .62 fusil that will beat the snot out of you with round ball over 110 grains of FFFg. If I load with 125 grains of FFg I get same velocity and less felt recoil (to me anyways). Both loads are accurate so I use the FFg.

Thanks Phil
I don’t know how you are shooting it, but if you are shooting off the bench a traditional muzzleloader can really beat you up. If that’s the case, try shooting from a standing position. You will find that your whole body moves with the recoil, instead of the recoil being absorbed by your shoulder as you lean into the gun over a bench.

You may also want to look at PAST Shoulder Recoil Pads or similar. I have a couple of different thicknesses and find the lightweight ones conform easily to a curved butt plate and an upper arm pocket hold. Or maybe eat your Wheaties and start going to the gym.

Shoulder or upper arm. Pull the butt tight against you before firing. Recoil should be felt as a push. Not as a jolt. Practice this at the range. Let it be 2nd nature when hunting. Poor recoil management on a dove field can ruin your week.

If you’re shooting from a bench I suggest you get your bags up as high as possible. This will put you in a more upright position. This makes a huge difference. If you’re too low it puts you in more of a prone type position which can make recoil worse.

I was shooting the 4 bore this weekend. 4 ounce balls with 450 grains of 2F powder. Recoil is way beyond the point where it breaks bones. But I have no bruise at all. It all comes down to practice. Especially so with the deep curved butt plate. Those have to be held different than what you are likely used to or it is going to hurt. But when held right they are very comfortable to shoot. It will take time to figure it out and get used to it. If recoil is an issue, just keep at it. Instead of 60 shots, just do 10. Then give it a week before shooting again. After a little while you won't even notice it.

My muzzleloaders are fired from the bench with heavy hunting loads of Pyrodex , Black MZ and Shooters World powder: My shooting shirts have pads sewn into the shoulders: No bruises, no nothing.

If at a bench and working on accuracy just add a sand bag between you and the stock

Also dont be afraid to use one of those slip on recoil pads

Thanks Phil
@flatcreek, my Pedersoli Hawken has a butt plate that has the potential to bruise, crescent shape. I use a good quality leather slip-on to alter that harsh profile - now, I don't have to think about finessing a shoulder position before firing - and good off the bench too. I also added a couple of sheets of foam inside the slip-on to 'fill' the concave of the crescent. I got it from Kirkpatrickleather.com; I ordered the 1886 winchester profile, and it fits beautifully.

Cheers, Pete

12.jpg

Thanks Phil
Try putting the butt with the lower portion basically in your arm pit.

Back