• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center New Englander breach plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coehorn06

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am seeking instructions/advice on how to remove the breach plug on a Thompson Center Arms New Englander barrel.

My desire to remove the breach plug is to facilitate a build project (remove the rifling), not for cleaning purposes.

If you have successfully removed the breach plug on a Thompson Center Arms New Englander barrel I would appreciate your insight on that process.

Thank you.

I am seeking instructions/advice on how to remove the breach plug on a Thompson Center Arms New Englander barrel.

My desire to remove the breach plug is to facilitate a build project (remove the rifling), not for cleaning purposes.

If you have successfully removed the breach plug on a Thompson Center Arms New Englander barrel I would appreciate your insight on that process.

Thank you.
Have you removed a breech plug of any type from a muzzleloader before? Do you have a sturdy vise mounted to a heavy bench?

TC sold a breech plug wrench for all of their guns depending on the model, it fit over the breech plug and was turned with a pipe wrench. TC plugs can be ridiculously tight so an extra cheater bar may be in order. The key is not buggering up the outside of the plug with tool marks during the removal process.

The wrench looks like this, perhaps the Renegade wrench will fit a New Englander, someone here will know.

TC plug wrench.jpg

Having unseated several TC breech plugs, I will attest to the problematic process in getting these tight buggers to break loose. Good luck with the round barrel. Please do report back with your process.

Back