• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kid's first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My son is about old enough to get his first muzzleloader and I'd like to start him off with a flintlock. Any suggestions on a good one at a resonalbe price.

thanks for the advise.

John

Personally I would start him off on a Caplock & most likely a Traditions Crockett.

Just a few reasons I would use a caplock & small calber is this:

No recoil so he will not shy from it.

Allot to learn, don't need to learn flints yet.

Don't need that flash in pan & distraction.

If you can't learn to shoot a caplock you will most likely never learn to shoot a flintlock.

Low expense ration on shooting a .32 & he can shoot it all day long for a few $.

Low expense rifle in case he don't stay with it & easy rifle to sell when he goes on to a larger rifle.

:results:

I agree with Birddog on the Traditions Crockett. I is a good shooting rifle, cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. It is also light enough for a kid to handle and shoot. I wish they would make it in a flint version.

I had to make the same decision recently for two kids. Because I live in PA, and the kids wanted to hunt with the guns, a percussion was not an option. I made my choice after letting them both handle several flinters that were available at local shops.

My daughter liked the Traditions PA Pellet flintlock and I like the idea that when she has a little more experience she will be able to load it herself without having to measure the powder, and further down the road she will be able to load it with loose powder.

My son chose the Traditions Deerhunter. It is a light and handy little gun with decent balance.

I got both guns with synthetic stocks. My daughter had no trouble with the flash, and my son seemed to adjust to it quickly. Both guns are fifty caliber and with loads of up to 75 0r 80 grains of 3F and 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets in the PA pellet, the kids manage the recoil just fine. In fact, my son also shoots my .58 cal. Renegade with a PRB over 90 grains of 2F without complaining (this was while wearing a heavy coat.)

I think the best thing I did was to allow them to shoot my flinters first and then allow them to take part in choosing their own guns.

Have you thought about a kit like a traditions, lyman or T/C. That way you both could spend time building it. They are not that expensive and are reliable. If a kit is not what you would like I would still suggest those three companies. They are good starter guns. I still have my T\C that me and my dad built 26 years ago and it still shoots great. :front:

In my experience, adults who have shot cap guns have all kinds of preconcived ideas about flinters that hinder their ability to convert to a flinter(the flash and etc.). Kids just seem to pick'em up and shoot them. I cut down a dixie penn rifle(flinter) years ago for my boys and they never had any of the problems adults have. I have over the years watched other kids shoot flinters and they all seem to just accept them for what they are and just shoot them, quite well I mite add.

I too have witnessed this with kids, Othern. I would say get them a flintlock to begin with so they can grow up shooting with the flash instead of struggling with it as many adults do, including myself. If they can shoot a modern rifle, they will have no problems with a percussion later on. :imo: :results:

I built my son a flintlock when he was about 11 out of a collection of parts and mistakes other made and sold me for a song. I cut the .45 barrel off 6" removing the flaw in the rifling, mounted it in a beautiful piece of curly maple another friend botched in the butt area but I could cut off his handiwork for a reduced pull. It was a little hefty for an 11 year old but he grew into it and still shoots it at the age of 36. A nice compromise in size.

If he ever gets around to taking a couple of pics. I'll post.

Back