• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kids hunting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My son can shooting a 4 inch group at 30 yards with 30 gains of blackpowder and PRB (50 caliber rifle). He tried 50 grains of powder and was developing a terrible habit of closing his eyes and pulling the trigger :( When he moved down to 30 grains he was a much better shot :)

Our club weighs each deer and the 1.5 and 2.5 year olds weigh about 125- 150lbs. The 3.5 year olds are around 200lbs (full weight, not gutted).

I am interested in your opinions on his powder charge at a 30 yards for whitetail. Should I load 50-60 grains for hunting or just stay with the 30 grains? He will limit is shots to 30 yards. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JD

First of all, congrats on gettin' your son out in to the field. Now, I took my first deer at 40 yds with 60gr of FFg and a .490 ball and it passed right through him. When I read your subject line, I was going to suggest 50-60gr of powder. The flinch could be a problem. Do you think he can shoot 40gr? I think that if he practices good shooting discipline and only takes shots within 25yds, then a 40gr charge may do the trick.

duckd said:
My son can shooting a 4 inch group at 30 yards with 30 gains of blackpowder and PRB (50 caliber rifle). He tried 50 grains of powder and was developing a terrible habit of closing his eyes and pulling the trigger :( When he moved down to 30 grains he was a much better shot :)

Our club weighs each deer and the 1.5 and 2.5 year olds weigh about 125- 150lbs. The 3.5 year olds are around 200lbs (full weight, not gutted).

I am interested in your opinions on his powder charge at a 30 yards for whitetail. Should I load 50-60 grains for hunting or just stay with the 30 grains? He will limit is shots to 30 yards. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JD

Have him practice with a practice load and when the season comes load the gun up with the appropriate hunting load. He'll never know, he'll be so excited. :thumbsup:

Or you could do like me- Lie and cheat.

My wife complained about heavier loads after I started her out shooting 35 grain loads in her 54 cal. When I got around to making her a powder measure for her hunting bag, I made a 60 grain measure and labeled it 40 grains. She never noticed the difference, and now has shot it so much that she's asking me to make her a 60 grain measure. I figure it might say 60 grains on it, but will more likely be throwing 80 grains.

I can't say for your son, but for her anyway, there was a whole lot of buildup in her mind about going to a "heavier" charge. When she didn't know it was in there, she didn't notice the difference.

I did the same as the previous two when my boy was starting out. He was using a .56 smoothbore, and I told him when he could handle a load that would penetrate a vegetable can he could go squrrel hunting.

He started poking through with 40 grains of powder, and settled on 45. Took his first couple of squirrels with that, and was comfortable shooting 45 grains of powder in a .54 rifle. When deer season rolled around, I quietly stepped his load up to 80 grains of 2f, and he missed a deer with it. Never knew the difference. He got a deer later that year, but never complained about that load.

Yep, treachery and deceit worked for me. :haha:

:hatsoff:
Spot

I was thinking the same thing. Sneak one in on him. :wink: I've never noticed recoil when shooting at game.

According to legend, Annie Oakley's dad did the same thing to her to try and discourage her from wanting to shoot, but it had the opposite effect when she killed her first squirrel. She never noticed because she was so excited about her hunt.

I've started my boys with 20 grs in a 45. They are still a little small for the gun and my oldest can barely shoulder it even with a 12" lop. He asked me to increase the charge for him a little bit so I bumped up to 25 grs. We're gonna work on good shooting habbits with BB guns. My younger son didn't like the kick from 20 grs. But they both need a lot of work on their positioning. And arms about 6" longer lol.

Back