• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

killer Jane...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alrighty.. 84 yds was correct. No hair or blood found this morning. She went 70yds as the crow flies, probably closer to 80yds judging the direction that she went last night. :thumbsup:

Goes to show if you think you shot the deer keep looking :thumbsup:

That was a great shot! and with no rear sight! thats going to be some good eating :thumbsup:. I'll be hunting myself this coming Monday and Tueday myself Hope I get to post some pics too.

I am betting this was one of them tomato eatin deer that raided our garden. :grin:

Roy said:
I am betting this was one of them tomato eatin deer that raided our garden. :grin:

:shocked2: "one of" ya mean...there's more! best get right back out there! :haha:

Congrats Roy :thumbsup:

I missed mine this morning - doe at 60 yds - surprised me because my smoothbore is deadly at that range - not sure what happened - no blood hair or nothing - none of the trees behind her showed any sign of being hit by a ball either - hard to say - just her day I guess. :idunno: :shake:

Roy said:
alrighty.. 84 yds was correct. No hair or blood found this morning. She went 70yds as the crow flies, probably closer to 80yds judging the direction that she went last night. :thumbsup:

Goes to show if you think you shot the deer keep looking :thumbsup:

Exactly! :applause:

They don't always bleed right away. Sometimes not at all. You don't always find hair where they were standing either.

Deer can run amazing distances, even when the shot was perfect, in the few seconds it takes for them to figger out that they are dead!

If your shot felt good when you pulled the trigger it probably was good.

I don't know how many times I have found dead deer that somebody "missed"... lots...

Sometimes a miss is really a miss. I've done it myself. But I usually knew I missed as soon as I pulled the trigger. Missed twice last year.
Got buck fever on one. Shot a sapling on the other.
The one I lifted my head off the stock. Still spent over a half hour making sure I missed.
The other one felt good and I couldn't figger out why that doe just pranced away like she did... until I found the wounded sapling. :surrender:

Damage report.. the ball went through both shoulders. The first shoulder was just flesh, the second shoulder the ball went through the bone just above the joint and exited. I found lots of bone and lead fragments at the exit wound. As far as the ribs, it took part of one out on entry and went between two on exit. It was basically a high lung hit just over the top of the heart. This would explain why I did not find any blood until I found the deer.

Now all of the firsts for me.. This is the longest shot that I have ever taken at a deer. The next longest would be around 70yds using a modern rifle. Another... its the first deer that I have taken with a smoothbore. :thumbsup:

I may go back out this evening and see if I can get a chance at another. :thumbsup:

I finished her on October 22nd.. :thumbsup:

So 19 days after I got her done.

Congratulations on a fine hunt, Roy. The high hit is almost always the explanation for lack of blood at the kill site. It takes time for the lungs to fill up before blood can exit the wounds. There is a special pleasure derived from taking that first big game with a gun you built. I don't think I have ever known anyone who has taken his first deer only 19 days have finishing a build! Wow!!

Roy, that's an amazing shot with a smoothbore. And that must be one heckuva gun, too. Though I left Ga. over three years ago I still miss the great deer hunting. Don't get down there as often as I'd like but still have relatives in and around Gainesville. Next time I get down to visit I'll remember your kind invite.

Still hoping for MY first smoothbore deer.

Great shot Roy!! And Jane!! Did you even have time to sight that gun in? 84 yards with a smooth bore! Jane looks like a keeper to me. Again, Congrats! :thumbsup: Rick.

:haha: I blame Charles Burton for the barrel.. first time I loaded it up with that charge it was hitting where I was aiming. Didn't see why to change.
Yes I did try her out at longer distances, so I was confident with the shot. :v If I had any doubts or thought I would wound the deer I would not have taken it. I do not like to see anything suffer.
Accuracy is everything.. a lot of people think that the powder charge I use is too light.. but that big of ball hitting its mark will and does do whats needed. :v

Back