• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

killer Jane...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree Roy accuracy trumps a heavy charge of powder . Get close and aim small.good stuff.

Great job Roy! I know your proud of that hunt and rightfully so. Nice shot. Hey folks I've seen Roy shoot a few smoothies before and he shoots them about as well as a rifled gun. Hey, ya need to be thinkin big rack with the peak of rut not being to far out. Are the bucks putting any sign down over your way? I been seeing numerous rubs and scrape lines.... :thumbsup:

Yep there is some sign.. :thumbsup: Going for Mr. Buck next.. :thumbsup:

Roy, when you introduced Jane to us in the photos forum, you said "I jug choked the barrel ...."
I have read many posts both for and against jug choked barrels and whether or not it will affect round ball accuracy. In Jane's case if anything it seems to have helped. To what degree did you jug choke the barrel?
By the way, beautiful gun,I love them plain to.

Not too sure.. :haha: I do not have a decent set of inside calipers to accurately tell how much I removed, but I can tell you it wasn't a lot, or no where near what I would consider unsafe. I did a bit more patterning with her and lengthened the choke since I took the pics in the photo section. Last time I checked she was shooting about a 12" circle @ 25yds. I need to spend more time with playing with shot.. but it is deer season. :thumbsup:
Now this barrel is different too.. Charles uses a tapered reamer on his barrels, that leaves a slightly tapered bore. So as you are loading it the farther down the ball goes the easier it gets.. To my knowledge I am the first one to jug choke one of his barrels.. So it is all an experiment. If I would have time to do proper testing I should have left the barrel untouched and shot groups at various yards from a bench, and then jug choked it.. and shot it again. But its not a perfect World :haha: and I am very pleased with the results so far :thumbsup:

Well I know how ya'll like to see the ball.. so I did some investigative work with a metal detector :thumbsup: I did wash off some of the red clay that was on it.

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg

:cursing: Damn~! I figured it rolled 10 yards an yer measurement was off...guess it could wobbled a few......... :blah:

RC said:
...guess it could wobbled a few......... :blah:
The ball or the deer?? :haha: I found the ball about 10 yards uphill farther than where the doe was standing when I shot. I have decided that metal detectors are cool.. :haha:

only to find the ball.. :haha: apparently it was still going when it left the deer.. :v

so..........based on latest findings...a smoothie shot at 100 yds...is possible? ummm..I'm gonna need a piece of paper,,a big one! umm.... test pattern! :haha:

Roy said:
I think so.. but I need to practice at that distance.

we have a 100yd target at one of our summer shoots,,,think bucky an i have played it with smoothies,,,not sure I'd shoot at an animal..yet!

Back