• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

kinda dumb, I guess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom deinek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I salvaged a beater ml rifle and had it bored out to .590 to use as a shotgun.

What size roundball proectile should I try with it?

Well you can say that you have a muzzleloading 22. Gauge that is.

We see that you want a recommendation for a ball.

Basically I would start with a recommendation of a ball that is 0.010" to 0.020" less in diameter. I like to see the patch compressed to half the thickness. If you have 0.020" patching, then the ball should be about 0.570". There are 2 thicknesses of patching that is compressed.

With smoothbores there are a lot of options including just using a wad. My first try with an unpatched ball would be to use a ball that is 0.585". Load the powder, load the over powder wad or a thumb sized wad of tow fibers or jute. Finally you install an over shot card to hold the ball in place. You might be able to use a 20 gauge over shot card. A 24 gauge wad or card is likely to be too small to be effective.

There's just a lot of choices for you to experiment to find the best load.

I don't think that is dumb at all. Giving an old beater a second chance at life!

Great idea. Use balls around .575" and try patched and unpatched. You can also use shot and shoudl have a dandy squirrel or dove gun! :hatsoff:

Oh NO not dumb. i have a springfield that some time in the past someone sporterized and made into a smooth bore. by far my most loved M.L. :wink:

Back