• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit Carson's Hawken Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking at getting a another rifle, the two choices I have right now are the Kit Carson Hawken rifle, and the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle.

the caliber would be a .54 in a slow twist for PRB shooting.

so I am asking your for your thoughts on the two rifles. the kit carson rifle would be in a kit from TOTW, seeing how that is all that I have seen so far. the pedersoli i can pick up from cableas.

the rifles I have now consist of the following
lyman trades
lyman GPH

thanks

The Kit Carson Hawken is by far the best choice from what you have outlined. Before going further, take a look at Don Stith's kit for the Kit Carson gun at www.donstith.com/.

Last edited by a moderator:
Douglas,
As for factory Hawkens rifles, I have a like new Austin and Halleck that is pretty nice, and looking for a new home. Well made rifle and accurate.
Mark

are the kits from Don's in the moderate skill level? I have never put a kit together. not saying that I can not do it. i have built furniture IE, tables, chest drawers, armoire, and china cabinet.

It's my guess that the kit from Don Stith would go together a bit better than the one from Track of the Wolf. Besides, being where you are, I'll bet you could find help if you needed it.

I talked with Don at Dixons a couple of years back. He said his kits are more geared toward the advanced builder.

I have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken that I ordered from Cabela's, and I like it a lot. That being said, I've always admired the Kit Carson, but I've never seen one.

Douglas,
Got your note re the A&H barrel being made in Spain. I only know that the rifles were made in 2 places, Weston, Mo. and ?. Mine was made in Weston. If anybody knows about the barrels, I would be interested.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Douglas,
Thanks, went to the site and it does appear that the barrels were Spanish. The locks I question, it looks awful good. For the dollar, unless mine is the exception, the A&H is really put together well and shoots very accurately.
Mark

I ordered a kit from Don a couple weeks ago,I havn't gotten it yet but it should be showing up shortly. I don't know if it would be a good first project. I have done a couple other projects and I am a little nevous about this one.But I wanted an authentic Hawken and he is the guy to get it from. You have to mount the rib and solder the thimbles, not to mention using a file to file out the place in the lock plate for the snail. I have a freind with a mill that is going to help me with drilling the blind holes for the rib. I am looking forward to getting started on it and Don said he would answer any questions I might have with it. Good luck with your decision. Dew

I know of three places to get an hawken kit from.
Don Stith rifle co.
Pecatonica river long rifles
Track of the Wolf

they all have the same rifle mainly just different barrels. prices seem to be pretty equall with them give or take a few dollars. BTW did Don jack up the price a $100 from the web site stated price. that is what I was told when I talked to him.

I don't believe Don Stith has the same rifles as the other outfits sell. Take another, closer look at the guns on his site and what the others are selling.

I've built both the Stith "S.Hawken" and the Pecatonica "Hawken" and the quality was about the same. The big advantage w/ the Stith is the tapered bbl but the under rib has to be filed to a taper to match the bbl flat. Also the bbl has to be breeched w/ the Stith. The Stith really does look like a Hawken while the Pecatonica does also except for the buttplate. Don sent pics of an original Hawken of the stock contours at the tang/breech when it wasn't clear to me just what had to be done. Both "Hawkens" have taken elk....Fred

Well, I tend to say you have to answer your question by yourself.
I got the Pedersoli. After I was able to have one of the very first produced in my hands it was only a short while till I got my own... :grin:
It is a terrible good shooter and sure one of the Pedersolis to recommend.
But: for me here in Germany a Pedersoli is cheaper compared with a custom gun!
It still is a production gun. If you like a custom - go custom. :thumbsup:

There used to be an article in the Muzzleloader Mag about the Pedersoli Hawken and their Trade Gun. May/June 2007 issue. Maybe you could get that to read?
One of the things that are wrong on the Pedersoli - the wrong side of the buttplate touches the ground first. Such things don´t hurt accuracy but wouldn´t happen - or shouldn´t - with a custom gun.

Hope this helps a little for you to choose... :hatsoff:

Stith is probably the only real choice for a "kit" if you want a Hawken.
Everthing else is an interpretation.

Dan

Back