• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knife sharpening.. whats your secret?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfruhwirth

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all!

Just currious on the technique and sharpening tools that you guys use to sharpen your patch knives? If your like me you'all like to increase the skills in everything we do.

I used to use a arkansas stone one course and another fine. I could cut my patches but never anything I would consider close to a razors edge. I then bought a smith device that you clamp your knife togeather with a small vice and a device that helps you keep a consistant angle as you sharpen.. This wasn't bad.

Last winter I went down on a special deer season hunt down in Van Burran county ia., and a buddy on mine turned me on to useing a diamond impregnated flat steel. I bought one at Wally World and for about $15 skins and was one of mediam roughness. It sure seems a lot easier and way sharper. I'm sure his pointers helped a lot as well.

Keep them knives sharp boys...
"A dull knife is a dangerous "knife!
:blue:

I have used a Lansky knife sharpening kit for over 20 years.
You have 4 different edge angles, so I use a different angle for my straight razor patch knives than I use for my pocket knife patch knives.

I have a synthetic ruby stone that I use on all edged tools - knives, chisels, etc., and use WD40 for cutting oil as it floats metal particles quite well. I seldom start on the coarse side of the stone unless there has been damage to the blade so the fine side sees most of the work. When I get a wire edge, I put the knife on a kitchen steel for a couple swipes until the wire is gone then finish on a razor strop. The coarse side of the strop has rouge and the other side is polished leather. This treatment will yield a fine razor edge on anything that has the capability to hold an edge. :imo:

I also use a Lansky system. I only have the regular stones, but I have plans on changing to Lansky's diamond stones, at least for the fine and extra fine.
It's a very good way to keep the blade at the correct angle.
Jim

I use a Lansky system also, but what Anvil says about the wire edge is true. At least that's what my county butcher grandfather taught me. :front:

A fine "whet stone" that I only use WD-40 on.Puts a razors edge on any "good" knife. :imo:

Wez-
There's a method called 'scary sharp' which is tough to beat insofar as sharpening at the bench. It evolved from woodworking and relies on the use of progressive grades of wet/dry [silicon carbide?] abrasive paper -available at auto parts stores, adhered to float glass -or some other smooth, flat surface -the water used to lubricate the surface will actually hold the paper in place. Google 'scary sharp' for details. The result is 'scarier' than the other techniques/abrasives I've tried.

.....Longshot

I've done the Lanskys, the whet stones, everything else -

But...the best, most time efficient way that puts the same edge on a knive as a Lansky or whet stone and saves tons and tons of time is one of those cheap yellow V things that you buy at wally world for 3.50. You just run the blade through the V that is contained in the yellow handle. Sharpens the knife quick and makes it shave hair from your arms sharp. I bought two - one is in my hunting pack and one is in my workbench.

I use a kit made by Gatco,, I like em SHARP,, A knife that ain't sharp is like a weapon that ain't loaded,, it's useless,, imo

knifes.jpg

I use the mill bastard file system.

ha ha ha ! I like that........ :crackup:

However, that won't work on my knives as the blades are harder than the files.

Most of the knives I make I sharpen on a Warthog system. It has 3 dif grades of diamond edge bars, but I normally use the 300 grit most of the times. I use that & when it is sharp I hit it about 5-8 licks on each side of a set of X crock sticks & that baby will shave you like no tomorrow......

:results:

I may be loosing it... or maybe i never had it... hmmm

but what is an x crock stick?
never heard of one of them..

A set of ceramic rods in the X. You out the blade in the X and pull it through. It works like a Butchers steel.

crock.jpg

Sounds like a "Crock" to me! :kid:

Davy

I have a couple methods 1) use a med norton india oil stone then go to a fine Arkansas stone . 2) I have a set of the spyderco ceramic sticks I bought like 18 yrs ago they work well if you have a real hard blade . Usally I can take the hair off my arm using both methods if you have a good blade to start with .

I really do sharpen my knives and everything else that needs sharpened using a mill bastard file. Fast, quick and easy..razor sharp. I go from file to steel to leather. Cut meat for quiet a few yrs. and know a thing or two about sharp knives and find this is the easiest way for me...just have to be careful and not scratch up your shiny new knife if not used to using file.

Latest posts

Back