• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Know what this is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this heavy cast iron gigjit up at a thrift store. It measures 10 1/2" across, 17" long, and stands 5" tall. It has a bail or handle, and three legs. The top has scalops all around the edge.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

I thought it would make a dandy little brazier but I would really like to know what it is.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

I ain't never seen one before, but it sure looks like a modern version of a Hibachi to me - just missing the grill/griddle across the top. Throw your charcoal in the bottom, light it, and cook on top. If you have a griddle to put across the top, those scallops would allow air to get in and fumes/heat to escape.

It would work as a brazier, but you would have to carefully choose the events that you want to use it at. It could be used at events with pretty lax historical standards, but wouldn't properly fit in at any event before the 1900's - in my humble opinion. But still way better than that classic rectangular hybachi bar-b-que grill people buy to use on their apartment balconies.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mike

p.s. I kind of looks like those legs were designed to fit over a standard patio deck rail. Slip down on either side, but still hold the bottom up off of the rail.

Well, I'm not sure what it is either, however it doesn't look very modern to me. I did a search of Columbus Iron Works & it seems they were established in the 1840s & built their reputation in supplying miltary equipment. They also formed some subsidiaries that supplied other industries, such as the sugar cane mills, etc.
Here are some references I found:

1. COLUMBUS IRON WORKS, COLUMBUS, GEORGIA - The Columbus Iron works had a long illustrious history in Columbus, but unfortunately not much of their product history is preserved. After the Civil War, a subsidiary, Southern Plow, was established to meet the needs for agricultural implements.

2. Intermet's lineage winds its way through a tangle of subsidiaries and predecessor companies to one of the oldest chartered companies in the United States, Columbus Iron Works, established in 1846. As a founding predecessor, Columbus Iron Works lent Intermet the type of prestige only history can impart: Aside from manufacturing armor plate for military applications, the 19th-century metal-worker was involved in the development of the first breech-loading cannon, and later, manufactured the cast iron pipe used in Manhattan Island's turn-of-the-century water system.

ColumbusIronWorks.jpg

Hope this helps you out some.

A lot of history for the company. But the manufacturing methods used to create this piece points to the 1900's --> lack of a casting sprue or gate, type of ears, product/model code cast in, complexity of the feet/legs, and the bale. All these point to a pretty late date - probably post 1950's or 60's - possibly even back as far as the 20's or 30's.

Just my humble opinion.

Mike

Well the handle does not look like it would be the type that you could hang from a chain over the fire since there is no apex in the middle. The handle being very high above the pot would suggest that there is lots of heat going on. The handle is also big enough that most likely two men would be carrying it. The handle is also quite strong looking which would indicate whatever would be in the pot would be very heavy also.

The pot itself is quite heavily made. It is very thick as to suggest whatever it was intended to hold would also be quite heavy. The pot is elongated, which would not be necessary for cooking and in fact would be contrary to other pot designs that were made for cooking. There would appear to be no lid since there are so many cutouts along its top border. A lid for such a pot would not make much sense to me with these holes. So this leads me to believe it is not for cooking at all.

The pot has tapered inward sides as it goes down to the bottom.

Why all the holes around the edges? I think it was for sitting on top of a fire and holding and melting lead down. The lead would then be poured into bullet moulds as men sat around the fire, thus the reason for all the cutouts! The cutouts would allow someone to dip the lead out with a small ladel and not be directly over the heat of the hot lead. The lead could then be taken out of the pot once it cooled and hardened with realative ease since it has tapered (inward) walls.

Sounded good to me!

rabbit03 (the winner untill someone else comes up with a better answer) :blah:

It's a giant ashtray for a secret men's club! It's for them big 'ole ceeeegars!

Or it could be a bowl from that famous eatery called Derty Girty's Burn-N-Slurp......it's a chili and beer house in Blahville.... this bowl is filled with chili and everyone has their own laddle, that's what the scallops are for....

If those aren't the right answers, then my guess would be it's a piece of cast iron from the Columbus Iron works!

Possibly a clinker tray for a coal furnace. The scallops could be where the shakers sit to knock the clinkers out. I doubt any liquid would be placed in it or the embossed lettering would have been on the outside of the container. Just a guess :surrender: But the hibachi idea sounds good too

That raised lettering on the inside precludes using it for any direct cooking, or for melting lead in it. Everything would be sticking to those letters. Plus the size is too large for efficeint melting of lead, and the casting is way too fragile/thin for that.

And I've stoked way too many coal fired stoves and furnaces to believe that it was for clinkers/ashes. The size and shape is all wrong.

A number of oval cast iron pans were made over the years. They are usually called Fish Cookers if shallow, or Ham Boilers if deep. It just seems to me that this would have been the heat source (using charcoal) for an oval griddle or cooker - which fit on top. The image of a catfish fry comes to mind when I see it.

Again, just my humble thoughts and opinions.

Mike

p.s. If it's an ashtray, I sure don't want to run into the people who need that large of one. Their cigars would have to be the size of a whole tobacco trade carrot/roll! But is sure would help keep the skeeters at bay!

That article says that before they went out of business in 1965, that they were heavily involved with developing a charcoal broiler grille of some sort. I believe that this kettle is to collect drippigs and ash in their grilles........

If it was a Hibachi gizzy wouldn't it have some sort of air gate control? If it was anything a fire would be made in it would need an air source. I have also been thinking it would be the right size for some sort of foot warmer and the foot plate is missing.

joe

It a rear site for a Gatlin gun :rotf: :rotf: ...
Guess ya can tell I don't know...Bud

I believe it is used to put ears of corn across the scallops and pour in water then put on fire and steam the corn....

It's a Confederate Officer's Tempura Pot!!! The scallops are to keep the tempura skewers in place. A "Lackey" would be called in to set the fire and pour in the oil (usually from possum renderings) and the Officers would place pieces of salt pork, boiled mule (cubed), or turnips onto a skewer and dip them into the heated oil! The scallops keep the skewers in place so that each Officer knows where his morsel is!

Seriously!!! :rotf: :hmm: :grin:

Jim aka kiltiemon

I would say early Cabele"s Hibachi. That would put it around 1970 Western Neb. A real find you are one lucky guy. :rotf:

Not sure but it reminds me of a soldering iron heater used for production soldering. In this case as many as 16 irons could be kept hot if it is what I think it is. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back