• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude said:
Cpl.Parker said:
What is attached to the wampum strap? Anyone?

His powder horn is attached to the wampum belt, by thin leather thongs. You can see it clearly when he primes the pan in the, "Silk, another 40 yards" scene at the fort.

Here is the evidence.
L38.jpg

:hatsoff:

I'm amazed at how much we look a like, although he's a little skrawnier.

Before we pick apart this film let's remember that it was based on a book written in the 19th century which may have been base on Boones rescue of his daughter long after the F&I period had past, so the story concept being turned into the movie it was was fictional and meant for entertainment, though students of history do hard it fine to overlook the more obvious mistakes as it does take something away from the continuity for the folks who can tell a mountain from a mole hill.

Glad to see someone knows what name the Indians (using French) had given 'Hawkeye'.
There's at least one other poster that could learn from your summation.

humm :hmm: , fine details...now that I just noticed....did he shave his chest for the movie as well?

I just can't imagine that any guy with head hair down to his waste has hide on his face & chest smoother lookin than the skin on my 2 month old grand daughter. :shocked2:

Then again, how bout them teefies they all were a sportin?

Looks like this flick falls under the HiFi definition..History Fiction.

Regards Bill

Skagan said:
If I remember correctly, the gunsmith tried to convince either the producer or the director to use a short barreled rifle, something more common on the frontier. I think maybe a transitgion rifle, but they insisted on the overly long rifle we see in the movie. since he was called "la longe Carabine"
We know that Cooper writes the story in 1826.
Short barreled rifle :hmm: .The John Schreit 1761 rifle has in overall length of 58 15/16 ",the barrel was 43 5/16" long.Most of the New England Fowlers have barrel lengths,ranging from 44" to 52".There are some with barrel lenghts of 60" to 63".The french Tulle Fusil de chasse have a barrel length of 44 1/2".
So IMO,there is a chance that there was a rifle ("la longe Carabine") :grin: ,with a longer barrel than the short barreled jaeger rifle.
How long was the barrel of a transitgion rifle?
:hatsoff:

I suppose one of us could pull out our old ML magazines and look up the story on the rifle.

I ask if 'Fusils' were smoothbores? Muskets? At least some of them, or any of them rifled. I was under impression they were all smoothys. And meant for a bayonet.

Blizzard of '93 said:
I ask if 'Fusils' were smoothbores? Muskets? At least some of them, or any of them rifled. I was under impression they were all smoothys. And meant for a bayonet.

Fusils and muskets were smooth bores. Although there were smooth rifles with no rifling,...there were no rifled muskets or rifled fusils as far as I know. :hmm:

"... Before we pick apart this film let's remember that it was based on a book written in the 19th century ... "

Please TG , this is no ordinary forum , we are gentlemen ( well sort of ... :hmm: ) We do not criticize the book , just the
producers of the film . :nono:

The story of that gun is arleady well known , other detail are
even funnier . The producers asked Parc Canada for a
description of Montcalm's camp , they sent him a letter of
Montcalm to his wife " ... and I have but a soldier' s tent
( for himself , other officers ate two by tents " and a few
bear skins ... " Compare that with the camp shown in the film
:cursing: . In another scene ALL the soldiers have beards and
wear a captain ' s gorget . :rotf:

And the list is loooooong

"How long was the barrel of a transitgion rifle?"

I think that what many call a transitional longrifle....I like "early longrifle" as a better term, could have a barrel of either lognish or medium or shortish this term is ment to sexcribe a rifle as it might appear before the true "longrifle was arouns The Shriet gun is said to be a true longrifle circa 1761, I have seen adds for imported rifles with 4' barrels in the 1750's so the barrel length is only a part of the definition of the true American longrifle, I think you could build a "transitional" gun with a barrel length of your choice, as long as the rest of the features are "early"

Just curious, but how did the "Historical Documentation" category morph into this transition of fictional accounts?

The way film producers pay for research and choose
to dump the result ? :rotf:

TANSTAAFL said:
Just curious, but how did the "Historical Documentation" category morph into this transition of fictional accounts?

Ah, I wondered when some would notice. :grin:

When this category was first created, it was for "Primary Documentation". After a very short time, it was evident that very few members knew what that meant and the posts were off topic, to say the least. I decided to open the category to any and all references to history, be it fact or fiction. I should probably rename the category more appropriately.

Here is the original introduction for this category...

When developing a persona for reenactment, it is important to research the time and place in question. Some have asked for an area where documentation for historic events or items can be posted and discussed.

Primary Documentation is the record made by a witness or participant at the time or very shortly after the time an historical event occurred.

Examples include:

Journal or diary entries
Business records
Artist's field sketches made at the time of the event depicted
Historical artifacts for which the provenance is documented
Etc.

I've discussed having two categories, one for historical fiction and another for Primary Documentation.

Your thoughts?

If the way you do re-enacting has any contact with the public,
you just can not escape films and legends. It is
fun to debunk some myths , I guess that those who take themselve to seriously have deserted this forum lomg time ago
so leave the discussion as it is now and lets have a good laugh
once in a while .
My 0 .01747 $ ( the Canadian $ is recovering )

I've discussed having two categories, one for historical fiction and another for Primary Documentation.

Your thoughts?

I thought at one time we did have a category for fictional books and movies? Could have been on another site though, and that might be what I get for thinking, deep subject, shallow mind, et al. :winking:

Claude said:
TANSTAAFL said:

Ah, I wondered when some would notice. :grin:

When this category was first created, it was for "Primary Documentation". After a very short time, it was evident that very few members knew what that meant and the posts were off topic, to say the least. I decided to open the category to any and all references to history, be it fact or fiction. I should probably rename the category more appropriately.

Here is the original introduction for this category...

When developing a persona for reenactment, it is important to research the time and place in question. Some have asked for an area where documentation for historic events or items can be posted and discussed.

Primary Documentation is the record made by a witness or participant at the time or very shortly after the time an historical event occurred.

Examples include:

Journal or diary entries
Business records
Artist's field sketches made at the time of the event depicted
Historical artifacts for which the provenance is documented
Etc.

Your thoughts?

Historical fiction can be fun to read but the only value in such material is the bibliography which "occasionally" will help a researcher.As I recall I read Eckert's first book and enjoyed it but have absolutely no plans to read any of the others. The hard facts of research are that I have barely enough time to read the serious non fiction material I have at my disposal let alone fiction which adds very little to the sum total of knowlege I am seeking to obtain.I realize that this outlook may offend some but I am not interested in fictionalized accounts written to entertain rather than to impart knowlege to the serious student of history.The same is true for movies such as Last of the Mohicans{called by a friend,"the John Wayne/Errol Flynn F&I movie} and the Patriot which I have characterized as "Mad Max wins the Revolution".I also realize that some will find my opinions here to be snobbish but such are the burdens of serious research.

So unloose the arrows and let the fun begin.
Tom Patton

Back