• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Last of the Mohicans"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronjeanson said:
I found "SONG OF THE MOHICANS" by Paul block at the local used book store in Alexandria, LA a few days ago. It is "The magnificent sequel to the beloved adventure classic" , I haven't started reading it yet, but it's supposed to pick up where LOTM left off. It's copyright is 1995.

It's whats known as a "Bodice ripper" :haha:

I liked the "Deerslayer" better than the "LOTM". I've read 2 of the 5 books in the leatherstocking tales and I just can't seem to get to the other ones.

Now I'm mad! I am always on the lookout for dropped balls in movies and that one has slid under the radar for the twenty or so times I have watched that movie.....

Visible crew/equipment: At the surrender of the fort, as the English are marching out, the French general removers his hat. The English Commander, Monroe, says "The fort is yours, Monsieur". Look over his shoulder. In the distant valley you can see what are either two tourist busses or perhaps mobile catering vans.

Revealing: Near the very end of the movie, when Magua has taken Uncas' love interest (Madeleine Stowe's character's sister) and he is taking a path through the mountain, Daniel Day-Lewis runs up a path and brushes against what seems to be a rock. But, the grey coloured "rock" seems to be a prop and moves like a piece of cloth.

Visible crew/equipment: As the English are leaving the fort, if you look right after that between the soldiers and down toward the beach, you'll see what looks like a blue and white umbrella where someone is sunning themselves by the lake.

Continuity: When Daniel Day Lewis, his brother and father are going after the Monro girls and the officer, in one scene where the dark haired Monro girl falls against a bush and breaks the branches. If you look closely at the scene before, the branches are already broken.

Visible crew/equipment: In the hunting scene at the beginning, you can see a man with a red cap on the right side of the screen, above the running deer.

Factual error: During the battle over the fort the British shoot a red flare into the sky. The British army learnt of the effectiveness of rocket weapons when fighting in India in the 1790s. In 1804, rockets (developed by Colonel William Congreve) were introduced into British service. The rocket flare was developed around this time (also by Colonel Congreve). This film is set in the 1750s - the British army would not have had rocket flares (source: Taylor, J.W.R (1970). Rockets & Missiles, Hamlyn, London. PP. 6-10).

Visible crew/equipment: At the begining of the scene where the evicted fort dwellers are making their way through the forest, as the column moves away from the camera, a crew member with a red baseball cap and a megaphone comes into shot.

Visible crew/equipment: When the people are all marched out of the fort, in the lower right hand corner there is a guy wearing a blue baseball hat.

Continuity: At the dinner at the Camerons' lodge Mrs. Cameron's bangs change from shot to shot.

Continuity: After the fight on the way to Fort Henry Duncan's temple curls disappear.

Continuity: When Duncan tries to explain his version of the raid of the Camerons' lodge to Cora part of his uniform is a read seat-belt-like piece of cloth. This wasn't there in the scene preceding imediately.

Continuity: When Duncan lies to Munro about the raid of the Camerons' lodge Cora's hair is totally dishevelled. Immediately after that when Duncan tries to explain it's nicely done.

Continuity: During the walk to Fort William Henry, at one point, Uncas, the true Mohican son, turns to look at Alice who is struggling and his earring is in his right ear. During the rest of the movie, the earring is in the left ear.

Audio problem: During the ambush of the British troop, as some of the soldiers take their first aim, it cuts to some Hurons running downhill. If you look in the lower left corner of the screen you can see a Huron firing without us hearing it.

Revealing: After they leave the fort, in the forest glade when the Huron start hollering, the air above the soldiers is very clear. But in the next shot just when the guns start to fire, there is a smoky haze hanging over the forest. Apparently the first attempt to film this scene didn't make it to film and some of the residual smoke was still there when they filmed it the second time.

Factual error: When Hawkeye shoots the elk in the opening his rifle emits a muzzleblast, but the priming powder in the pan does not leave its characteristic smoke. When a flintlock is fired two distinct clouds of powder smoke should be seen.

Continuity: During the battle over the fort the protagonists' group approaches the fort by canoe, with the women sitting in the canoe and the men guiding it wading through the water. In the shots showing Cora's face Alice is not in the canoe.

Continuity: When Magua is leading the troop into the ambush he turns around and walks towards the troop. When it cuts to a shot behind him we see him lifting up his right arm. When it cuts his arm is down.

Continuity: During the scene at General Webb's office things on the desk appear and disappear and change places, like a glass, a water bottle, a candle, etc.

Deliberate "mistake": Rhododendrons, visible in the opening scene and mentioned specifically in the shooting script, do not grow in the Adirondacks.

"Deerslayer" and "Pathfinder" are next on my list!

I will start them as soon as I finish Parkman's "Montcalm and Wolfe".

I cannot wait to read them.

Doc

Claude, who often have you seen that movie :shocked2:
Tomorrow i will look that movie through your eyes.
Hope that i didn't miss anything you wrote. :grin:
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
Claude, who often have you seen that movie :shocked2:
Tomorrow i will look that movie through your eyes.
Hope that i didn't miss anything you wrote. :grin:
:hatsoff:

I copied that list from elsewhere.

Although I've seen the movie many, many times (I own the DVD), I never look for those things in the film. I posted the list for those who enjoy that aspect of the movies.

regardless of it all. it is my favorite movie to date. and given better technology towards films today it still stands the tests of time

Hey Mike - I agree with you on both flicks. I very much enjoy watching the Last of the Mohigans time and time again. Like you said - the music and the story are excellent. As for Mel Gibson though - enough blood already! His brian must feel right at home in a slaughter house.

Thanks a lot, you just costed me 7.50. I watched my vhs copy and didn't see any of that stuff. So I got it on DVD from Wal Mart. What a difference that makes. I'm printing your list now so I can look for them this weekend.

Of all the Leatherstocking Tales, I found the DEERSLAYER and THE PATHFINDER the easiest to read, and the most enjoyable.

I am 300 pages into "Deerslayer" right now and loving it.

Cooper sure knew how to write!

"Pathfinder" is on deck!

Doc

:applause: Well as long as we are looking at, "The Last of the Mohican's",and finding little bits of goofs in the filming. Frankly I have seen a couple of those fleeting moments, but the other night after being primed to watch it again, I saw in the beginning of one of the battle scenes---when the British troops were lined up to "Present Fire"outside of the fort---I noticed the presence of a Grenade Mortar (launcher) about three figures from the left, in outline against the fires behind the line. Of course it also launched a volley with the rest of the troops. I suppose that after about twenty times viewing it we might see all of the goofs that Claude listed for us.Frankly I just enjoy the viewing rather than looking for filming screw ups. JMHO YMOS :hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
I suppose that after about twenty times viewing it we might see all of the goofs that Claude listed for us.Frankly I just enjoy the viewing rather than looking for filming screw ups. JMHO YMOS :hatsoff:

Interestingly enough, I have never looked for the flaws in the list I posted. It's of no interrest to me, as everything has flaws. That would be like focusing on the flaws in a friend or loved one, rather than enjoying them for who they are. :grin:

Just finished "Deerslayer".

Wow, what a book! Cooper's endings suck the breathe right out of me.

Awesome book. Absolutely loved it.

Very, very good book and well worth the read.

If you liked his LOTM book, then I advise all of you to give "Deerlsayer" a try. I found it a quicker read and just as good.

I'm going to start "Pathfinder" today!

Doc

Loved both movies, but I do like finding gaffs.
Anyone catch the disappearing bayonet during Martins fight with Tavington at the end of The Patriot. Bayonet appears to be imbedded in Martin's left side and as he turns to the left parrying Tavington's attack it vanishes.
My copy is on VHS.

Claude said:
Interestingly enough, I have never looked for the flaws in the list I posted. It's of no interrest to me, as everything has flaws. That would be like focusing on the flaws in a friend or loved one, rather than enjoying them for who they are.
Claude,
I could not agree more.Movies are entertainment
not historical accounts of history.I personally
do not look for PC flaws in movies,but I can
see why some would.
I resently watched a 2hour show on the History
Channel on the 300 Spartans battle at Tripoly.
I then saw the movie 300.
I was thourghly entertained by both. History
a lot of times, is what one historian
persives it to be,or maybe 50.Then comes along
another 50 that persieve it different.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Claude, I missed the point about the rocket over the fort when I saw the movie--I guess it didn't register because rockets and fireworks were well known long before the F&I War. It is just that specific type that was not yet available. Of course the Chinese invented the rocket hundreds of years earlier. I have read period accounts from the late 1600s in North America where French explorers and missionaries actually toted fireworks with them into the wilderness and used them in celebrations.

Deliberate "mistake": Rhododendrons, visible in the opening scene and mentioned specifically in the shooting script, do not grow in the Adirondacks.

Actually, Mountain Laurel which is indistinquishable from Rhododendron grows wild in abundance around Lake George. Decorative rhododendron itself with it's large purple flowers blossoms plentifully around Glens Falls in late May and early June. There is also an abundance of both Rhododendron and Mt Laurel north of Lake George at both Ticonderoga and Crown Point.

Back