• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead conicals in lyman trade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for anyone with experience shooting lead conicals out of the lyman trade gun, in .54 caliber? More specifically what were your groups at 100 yards? I'm interested to see how they shot out of the 1/48 twist barrel. I read they shoot "good or pretty accurate", but what have you guys experienced?

Only second hand watching my bud, but your reports are accurate. He shoots standard TC Maxis or Hornady Great Plains bullets with a lubed felt wad between them and 80 grains of 2f Goes or Pyrodex RS. His Trade Gun doesn't seem to care which powder. The Hornady edges the Maxi's a little, and on good days his young eyes are printing 2-3" groups from a rest at 100 yards. Even his bad days are better than my old eyes can do at 100 yards though! :wink:

I have a TC Cherokee in 45 caliber with 1:48 twist I contacted Thompson and talked to a rep and he said with a 1:48 twist, conical or maxi's would shoot better than patch and ball-- I haven't got a chance to do any type of comparison shooting so I couldn't you any first hand info. Just relaying what I was told!

My son played around with conicals in his rifle over the summer.

First was the Great Plains bullet. They seemed to shoot well with any charge. Though he didn't shoot at 100 yards, he had no problem printing 1 1/2" groups a 50 yards. We wanted to dismiss that bullet, however, because we prefer to cast.

Next we tried the Lee REAL bullet. I don't recall the weight, but it was the heavier of the two. On top of the powder, it was all over the place. Using overpowder wads it settled in pretty easily. I don't remember if he was able match the accuracy of the Great Plains, but he was able to tighten it up significantly with the addition of the wads.

At 15 years old both bullets turned out to be a bit much for him, and we didn't take it any further.

I'm still tempted to toy with the idea myself, but I'm not sure with all the metal hardware in my shoulder that I'll want to do so either. They thump pretty good on both ends.

I have a lyman in 58 cal with similar twist, it shoots hornady great plains well, 525gr/90gr FFg, OWCH!!!

I have Lyman's Deerstalker which is a 1:48" twist, but in .50 cal. And like the Trade Rifle it also has the deeper grooves meant for PRB shooting. You'll need wads to form a proper seal.

I decided I wanted to try out some conicals and purchased a handful of cast 320 grn Lee REALs. At the time I was still breaking in my barrel with PRB and 70 grns of 3F and decided to try that as well. All of my shooting has been at 50 yds and with a need for glasses (20/40 vision), which I finally have now.

Without a felt wad my REAL had keyholed printing about a foot left and several inches low. As I had read these often need a wad I had punched some prior to going. My next two shots were nearly touching and just below the bull. I bought a mold after that but haven't been shooting. I haven't tried any other style or weight of conical, though I also bought a used 250 grn REAL mold as I intend on buying a Plains Pistol as well.

Thanks for your input guys. I think I have the gun picked out I want, not 100% sure yet, but close!

Hi,
There is nothing better than a .54 cal. RB. in a Lyman GPR.
It is a dragon slayer!
If you are going flint. GREAT! but must expect longer break in time on your behalf.
Unless you are a time proven flint shooter.
All the best!
Fred
Note: Lyman GPR rifles do not shoot synthetic powders well without black powder primer.
That means BP in the pan "AND" BP in the barrel as primer then synthetic powder. Even then constant ignition is iffy.
Good luck on that!

Old Ford said:
Note: Lyman GPR rifles do not shoot synthetic powders well without black powder primer.
That means BP in the pan "AND" BP in the barrel as primer then synthetic powder. Even then constant ignition is iffy.

Of course you're talking about flinters and right as rain in that case.

But he posted in the percussion section so I have to speak up based on a lot of experience with subs in several percussion GPR's.

They don't really care whether you use a sub or real black. Dandy with either.

The thing you might run into is problems with the fit between Lyman's own nipple and CCI caps in particular. It's not a happy marriage, and you could have misfires. They're fine with Remington caps and maybe others. Replacement nipples are cheap and they're no big deal to change. Worth every cent if you're using CCI.

ive got a trade rifle and a deer stalker and several other 54 with 1-48 twist. using an over the powder wad I can get groups in the 3 inch range with the deer stalker or trade rifle, I believe the rifle could do better but my shooting ability is not up to par yet. I use 80 grains of pyrodex rs and select recoil is manageable. when I up it to 100 grains recoil is pretty stiff with the trade rifles stock design. I however hunt less then 50 yards I shoot to 100 yards just in case. ive never shot conicals with out a over the powder wad. many on this forumn a year ago said to use an over the powder wad and the hornady 425 great plains. ive got some no excuse 535 coming soon gonna give those a try also

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 cal that I built from a kit in 1985. At the time, there was a primitive weapons season in my area for moose, so I chose the .54 with the ability to use conical bullet. I worked up to a load of 90 gr. of Pyrodex RS with a TC Maxiball. My groups at 100 yds were consistantly 3 - 4 " groups off sand bags. Then I was able to try 380 gr. REAL Bullets from a friend. The best I could do was 5" groups with 95 gr. of Pyrodex RS. Not knowing the quality of lead he used, I went and bought my own mold, and was able to get a good supply of pure lead, hoping I could get better results with the REAL Bullet. Results were approximately the same as before.
As to the season for moose... the Saskatchewan government ended it a year after my rifle was purchased...would have liked to have tried it though! Works well on Whitetails and Muleys!
Skstubblejumper

with all the moose back around my parents farm near Regina, that season might open again. have not hunted in Saskatchewan for 30+years since i joined the army.
Where in Sask are you? its a big place...lol

Robert,

What's the purpose of the gun? A 54 cal concial is gonna be a shoulder biter.

Roundball in 54 does a pretty good job.

IF elk is on the table, I'd more go towards 50 cal with conicals instead. More options, higher sectional density, a good bit of power with a touch less recoil.

Also, the 50 cal and 54 uses the same external dimentions. So, the 50 cal will weigh a touch more which will help with recoil.

Lyman GPR is a good choice. consider painting the front sight if you're hunting.

I got the lyman GPR in .54 caliber. I'm very happy so far! I've only shot it about 30 times, but my best 5 shot group was quarter size, second best was golf ball size, both at 40 yards. I plan on elk hunting with it this fall

In NW Saskatchewan just south of Meadow Lake Provincial Park.
Yea I have to agree that there are probably more moose throughout the south part of the province. There has been a draw season for many years in the south, which has helped increase the population. Its been slim pickens around here for the past few years with the regular rifle bulls season.
Sask Environment may consider different options for next year (reducing rifle seasons to maybe a draw)

A barrel maker once told me that deep rifling will shoot long bullets just fine. And then I cast aside conventional wisdom to find out that he really does know his business.

Robert,
If you get bored with only having that one hole in your target you can paper patch a thick walled minie and slam it hard enough to get it to shoot minute of critter. The rifle being the same equipment as the Great Plains Hunter except for the rifling, it will wear out the shooter long before it's limits get pushed. But you would still just be making that same .54 hole and would drastically reduce the rate of displacement that imparts tissue damage.

Congrats on the purchase of a fine rifle.
And your next one.
And the next one!
:hatsoff:

Robert J. said:
I got the lyman GPR in .54 caliber. I'm very happy so far! I've only shot it about 30 times, but my best 5 shot group was quarter size, second best was golf ball size, both at 40 yards. I plan on elk hunting with it this fall

Robert
You forgot to tell us What your load set up was ?

Back