• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead flux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinRob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Going to try to cast some lead bullets. Bought some soft lead. Now im researching that you need to flux the melted lead. Some use chemical flux but a lot say just use sawdust. Anyone have a good direction to point me in?

As I understand it, basically any source of carbon will work. I've tried sawdust out of curiosity and it worked fine. I've used paraffin and beeswax as well. For convenience I use beeswax mostly these days, simply because I have it on hand. Whatever you choose, just be sure to stir it real well and scrape the sides and bottom of the pot while doing so.

Just use a small drop of regular ole candle wax where it has dripped down the candle. Works great for me.

MosinRob said:
Going to try to cast some lead bullets. Bought some soft lead. Now im researching that you need to flux the melted lead. Some use chemical flux but a lot say just use sawdust. Anyone have a good direction to point me in?

Marvelux is best, no smoke and it works. Takes a little longer than Beeswax, maybe.
Do not get it on the ladle though. I use an old table spoon or some such for stirring.
Beeswax also works, paraffin likely will too.
But these are smoky and you need to light the smoke to reduce this.
Buffalo Arms and Brownell's both have Marvelux.
Dan

There are commercial products avaliable but, unless you can find them locally, the end price after paying postage is just too rich for my blood. I have cast balls and modern bullets for many years and all I use is a pea size bit of paraffin. You can buy canning paraffin in most large super markets in the section where canning jars, etc. are located. You can also use a bit of candle wax or bees wax. These things will smoke when you add them to your pot and many folks will light the fumes to keep the smoke down. Just be sure to do all of your casting in a well ventilated open place with a fan behind and slightly to one side to blow the fumes away from your face. It is important not to place the fan directly behind you because that creates a low pressure area in front of your face that will draw the fumes right up into your breathig area. Well ventilated area with the fan behind and slightly to one side. You sure don't want to breathe lead fumes. Be cautious when lighting the smoke. The flame is not big but it is an open flame and if you have flammable material too close to your working area, you could have a fire hazard. Work safely.

If you have bought clean lead from a company you probably don't need to flux at all. But if you have lead from a junkyard I would just use a bit of candle wax like the others said, it's what I use also, it works great and is cheap.

Ok so candle,bee's wax, and saw dust all work well and are cheap. On the candle is it bad to use scented ones? also how much of each do you use? I'll be melting 5-10lbs a time. Do you just drop it in, stir and scrap then scope out?

I have used everything from candle wax to to motor oil, to a dry stick. A dry stick works very well. Does it work better than anything else I doubt it.

I use a crappy old dutch over. I keep it just for lead. I melt large batches and clean and flux it. Like I said I use a dry stick but you have to make sure it is dry or the tinsel ferry will visit. Put your lead in get it melted dump in wax or motor oil and stir with a dry stick. After it is clean make ingots. I don't flux any more after that. Ron

If you are using scrap lead I would clean and flux(with any of the above mentioned make sure sawdust is dry) before I put it in my casting pot, but once clean I stur with the hickory hammer handle I use to open the spur plate.

Scented candles work just fine if you can stand the smell. I don't care all that much for scented candles, they can be just too much smell to suit me but they will work fine for fluxing lead. Besides, you must do the casting in a well ventillated area so I guess the smell of melting scented candle shouldn't be all that much of a factor. All it takes is a small piece about the size of a large pea. Toss it in and stir well, then scoop off the dross that comes to the top. See my earlier post in this subject.

Back