• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd artillery

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a .735 mold for my bess. I melted down every fishing sinker and wheel weight i could get my hands on. Does anyone have any other good ways to get lead? I was thinking about going and digging through the burms at the gun club for lead but we just got a foot of snow.

Does anyone have any other good ways to get lead?

I scrounge lead at the gun range when the shooting sessions are over, melt it down and skim off the dirt and you are ready to pour...

If wheel weights are ok for you to shoot, any tire place will more than likely gladly give you as much as you can carry, it saves them from having to pay to dispose of it...

Old lead pipes are another way to get lead...

There is roughly 700 tons of pure lead being used as a counter weight for the Leaning Tower of Pisa... :winking:

I recycle. I've been shooting at the same spot for 25 years and a couple years ago I bought a used metal detector. :crackup:

I've used: diving weights, wheel-weights, sections of sailboat keel, battery terminals, plumbers/sewer pipe lead, lead pipe, sheet lead (roof flashing), fishing sinkers, lead cubes used to hold down blue-prints/plans, alleged lead ingots from a garage sale.

The less wheel-weights you use, the easier loading will be for you. They're harder than pure lead and can require an effort to get started . . . but they shoot fine.

The old Rule of Thumb is that the lead is suitable for balls if you can scratch it with your fingernail . . . and that rule works very well because when you get despirate you'll be surprised what your fingernail is capable of marking if you push hard enough.

I just got a .735 mold for my bess. I melted down every fishing sinker and wheel weight i could get my hands on.
Watch out using wheel weights...TOO HARD. If you can find plumbers lead it's better :redthumb:

See posts in this area under "Getting pure lead" should answer most of your Questions. :m2c:

Thanks for all the ideas and i'll try to stay away from the wheel weights. I went down to my grandfather's and he gave about 50 lbs. of lead pipe so i guess i'm pretty well off for a while. Thanks for all the help.

It's haz-mat now to dispose of so try a metals scrap or recycling place. Sometimes, it's quite cheap or even free - most of these places WILL NOT pay anyone who brings it in but some will dispose.

there is roughly 700 tons of pure lead being used as a counter weight for the Leaning Tower of Pisa:
MM,
i will be the one to ask!!!! exactly how many r/b
does that convert to: 32-36-40-45-50-54-58-& all others!!!
i know you know! 700tons: just for simlification
how many
10# cannon balls :crackup: :crackup: :hmm: :master:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

It's haz-mat now to dispose of so try a metals scrap or recycling place. Sometimes, it's quite cheap or even free - most of these places WILL NOT pay anyone who brings it in but some will dispose.

scrap yards are your best bet. Wheel weights are very hard and are really only shootable for smoothies in my estimation...luckily you have a Bess. However, in my experience they are full of all kinds of nasty junk, I spent more time skimming than I did pouring, and I have heard of wheel lead screwing up more than one production pot spout...personally, I don't trust a spout to not stick open when it comes to pouring molten metal.

Anyway, just my two cents. Everyone's right: Dental lead, elevator weights, old lead pipes--but watch old pipes, too, as some that I have used in the past had rust and crud in them and required a bunch of skimming.

24 cents a lb for the last I picked up, at a local scrap yard/recycler, about 2 months ago.

I went down to my grandfather's and he gave about 50 lbs. of lead pipe so i guess i'm pretty well off for a while.

.735 round ball weighs roughly 545 grains, that translates to 13 round balls per pound of lead... (12.8/lb)

So, you can make about 650 round balls...

there is roughly 700 tons of pure lead being used as a counter weight for the Leaning Tower of Pisa:
MM,
i will be the one to ask!!!! exactly how many r/b
does that convert to: 32-36-40-45-50-54-58-& all others!!!
i know you know! 700tons: just for simlification
how many
10# cannon balls :crackup: :crackup: :hmm: :master:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

180 grains to the .490 roundball
7000 grains to the pound...
2000 pounds to the ton

700 tons = 1,400,000 pounds

1,400,000 pounds x 7000 grains/pound = 9,800,000,000 grains

9,800,000,000 grains / 180 grains to the .490 roundball = 54,444,444.4 roundballs :redthumb:

(700 tons = 1,400,000 pounds = 140,000 ten pound cannon balls)

Lead pipe is perfect...good score. With wheel weight metal, and a .735" ball, it's very possible to get a ball stuck halfway down your barrel, especially after it got dirty.

I shoot a .735" ball and it's a tight fit...I wouldn't poke a "hardball" down my barrel unless is was .720" or smaller.

Rat

Try your local scrap yard. I bought 200# at mine a year ago. I am set for a while. I got it for 20 cents a pound.
Old Charlie

You may wish to check out a wewbsite I have found.It is www.alchemycastings.com. They sell different grades of lead. Of particular interest is their "musket lead".It is said to be pure lead for making musket balls.I have tried wheel weights in the past and wasn't too charmed w/ them.I used deactivated car batteries for awhile,unfortunately more sweat was expended than lead extracted.I finally found peace and everlasting happiness w/ lead roof flashing.

The lead from no maintainence batteries is more dangerous than just plain ol' molten lead, something in the chemistry, but super dangerous. :m2c:

Fella's,

BS or NOT? It's a story I've heard, If it's true I hope your old enough that you don't plan on having kids. Especially if your carry'n your pour'd round balls around a set of your own.

About x-ray room lead... a feller once told me.

That "used" lead is hot as all heck! I'm not gonna say what town but for fun we used to take the newbies out when we were carry'n giger counters to an old x-ray room lead dump site. We'd tell'em it was an old military bomb disposal sight and watch their eyes get real white when we sent them over the right hill .. man they made those things click.

Spot

Latest posts

Back