• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather vs. Lead setting flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Squire Robin said:
Old Ironsights said:
They weren't. They were being made to Squire Robin.

But I don't even have an opinion :shocked2:
Sure you do. Ale or Stout? :grin:

Can't say it bothers me either way. I wrap my flints in sheet rubber because I have a lot of rubber left over from a discontinued product.
:shocked2: That's not Traditional :grin: :v

What other people wrap with is of little concern to me :rotf:

But you did make a fine video to share with the forum. :hatsoff:

This is not directed to anyone in particular. Can I make a simple suggestion. If you have that many problems keeping the flint in place or with the lock breaking, just switch to percussion. :blah:

MadBrad said:
just switch to percussion. :blah:

Another outburst like this and I'll lock this thread... :haha:

Come on people, we are talking about lead vrs leather wraps, of course the PETA people won't complain about the lead wrapped flint, they might spray paint your leather wrap though if you're not careful...

They might spray paint Robin's rubber ones too since they come from those poor lil' o' rubber trees. :rotf:

Cooner54 said:
They might spray paint Robin's rubber ones too since they come from those poor lil' o' rubber trees. :rotf:

Oh, the Horror! How many Tyres had to die to outfit that evil killing stick?!?! :rotf: :rotf:

paulvallandigham said:
In fact, he gave no reason for stating his recommendation to use leather to wrap his flints, instead of lead. ... Paul

Paul,
Just what would you call the second sentence here if not a reason for Jim saying not to use lead?

First, we recommend a leather wrap for the flint in all of our locks. Lead transfers too much of the shock from the flint striking the frizzen back to the cock putting undue stress on the cock.

Stumpkiller Said:The spring is a given force, so physics tells us the heavier lead will start off slower due to inertia, but hit harder.

A couple of posters have shown that, mass wise, a properly made Lead masses the same, or nearly so as an equivelent leather.

Anyone want to race to the bottom of a pan of water with a lead wrap vs. a leather? First to the bottom buys the house round? :hatsoff: I thought the measure came out lead was 12X heavier?

Yep! Something like that. I don't see my cocks breaking though. My big muskets get lead and some of my rifles. A few of my rifles get leather. No worries. "If it works don't fix it" has been stated. If it works, no need to worry about it. :grin:

Oops. My Bad. The Moderator is correct... How could that happen? :grin: I went back and checked and lo & behold I dropped a decimal. :redface:

Still don't think it matters a hill of beans to the lock tho. :winking:

The horse is dead; long live the horse!

Lead slows your lock down...

Squire Robin said:
I just did [Paul's test] and here's the movie playing at quarter speed.

The physics/math says there has to be some delay, but is it appreciable? Squire, is there enough info in the original vid to measure any real difference in "lock time" between the leather-wrapped version and the lead-wrapped version?

This whole thing sounds like a dam good question to ask the Bevel Brothers.
Not only could they run some experiments but it might be enjoyable to find that one of them likes leather while the other one likes lead. :rotf: :grin: :rotf:

Zonie said:
Not only could they run some experiments but it might be enjoyable to find that one of them likes leather while the other one likes lead. :rotf: :grin: :rotf:

But is that lead wrapped flint bevel up or leather wrapped flint bevel down, maybe its lead wrapped flint bevel down, or leather wrapped flint bevel up that causes the cock to break? :hmm: :haha:

Musketman said:
Zonie said:

But is that lead wrapped flint bevel up or leather wrapped flint bevel down, maybe its lead wrapped flint bevel down, or leather wrapped flint bevel up that causes the cock to break? :hmm: :haha:
You know, maybe that's it. It didn't look all that different enough to submit for the Funny Flintlock Pic competition, but using that bit of double-beveled depleted Uranium wrapped in lead just might have been too heavy for my mainspring.... (and why my pan is still glowing) :rotf:

I think I'll try lead wrapped leather the best of both worlds "

That will break your lock! :(

It is only safe to use if it's leather wrapped lead.
:rotf: :rotf: :grin:

Zonie said:

:rotf: :rotf: :winking:

Zonie said:

Yeah, it's safer, but you won't get good sparks. :blah: :rotf:

J.D. said:
Zonie said:

Yeah, it's safer, but you won't get good sparks. :blah: :rotf:

Sure you will...just have to remember to align the patch threads correctly, factor in above/below the equator effect, as well as right/left hand twist rifling.......and, with a smoothbore...............

Zonie said:

Oh yeah? What BHN? I'll bet you aren't using enough tin/antimony in your alloy.

And ghod help you if you are using pure lead!

I think I'll stick with Depleten Uranium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back