• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leaving musket loaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, we could go round and around about this subject for pages. :doh: I am telling you what I consider to be a safe practice. I am 75 years old and have no kids at home who might find one of my home protection weapons. My wife is an accomplished shooter and knows how to safely handle a loaded gun. So, I consider those guns to be in a ready but safe condition. It is my practice to make sure that any other weapon is unloaded and safe before bringing it into any dwelling place or automobile. It is what I do because it is how I was taught growing up and in the service. If you choose to do otherwise and feel that your practice is as safe as you are comfortable with, then good for you. Let's not beat this horse to death. :dead:

" Many people will grab a muzzleloader to look at without asking, when they won't touch a modern gun."

Not my experience.

What kind of people do you admit to your home?

I'm happy to hear you haven't seen people that classify muzzleloaders as potentially dangerous firearms but they do exist.

Not only are there a lot of people who have had no firearm training at all but there are a lot more people that think all muzzleloading guns are non working, pot metal, wall decorations, movie props and paper weights.

To their way of thinking, picking up a phony "old time gun" is about as dangerous as picking up a frying pan.

" Many people will grab a muzzleloader to look at without asking, when they won't touch a modern gun."

I have a hard time finding enough logic to wrap my head around that statement.

I'm not saying that it's not possible but in my experience it has ever happened.

In my experience touching another's gun without permission is worse than touching his woman.

As I've said elsewhere, unless you have EONS of spare time, don't take a ML abroad, as EVERYBODY from customs agents, police, taxi drivers, bellhops & clerks will want to FONDLE it, so I know precisely what you mean.
(More than once at OCONUS airports, I've been asked to unpack my rifles/DB & "do show & tell" for "the multitudes", for example, 2+ hours at the Caracas airport, with ALL the customs/police/military supervisors "in the audience"!!!)

yours, satx

"I'm happy to hear you haven't seen people that classify muzzleloaders as potentially dangerous firearms but they do exist."

Have we missed a negative somewhere? People who come to my house, treat every firearm, new, used, old, shiny, dull as an inherently dangerous instrumentality.

For that matter, my kith & kin ask before they pick up almost anything unless it's obviously offered to them. Is such not a matter of everyday etiquette, taught everyone?

What kind of people I admit is never the problem, the problem comes from other kids that our kids admitted and sometimes people the ex-wife admitted.

However, I was referring mostly of gun shows where I've seen it many times people will grab a muzzle loader when they may not or would not have touched a modern gun. Zonie's explanation that some people just don't consider black powder guns any more dangerous than frying pans, is spot on. Plus, SATX is correct that common courtesy is too often on its last gasps of breath.

Gus

Socal147 said:
Live alone
Two dogs
One alarm system
Many cameras
One Glock 21 ready to go.

Why? Because I can't load the muzzle loader quick enough.

PS - All guns are always loaded ..... Always!
I have a four foot claymore next to the bed...someone sees a 375 lb hairy naked yelling Scotsman swing that down the hall will see that forever lol

I wonder if it's because of the part of the country one is in. Maybe there are more black powder arms here in MI & OH. I just can't understand the mind set you guys are describing. I'm 65 and have been around ml'ers since 1981. I've never met anyone hereabouts that wouldn't think a bp piece is not a deadly firearm, the same as a .30-30 lever or an AR.

bpd303 said:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight, even a big one like a claymore. :idunno:

Now a 5x6" plastic Claymore next to the bed would be serious protection, but outside the scope of this forum.

Hmmm :hmm: Ever see the back blast from one of those things? WAYYYY to much collateral damage for me. :shake: But, alas, we digress.

Dear sir
In India our muzzle loader guns fires perfectly if we had luck. People never keep their guns loaded for tomorrow's hunt, if they have to keep them loaded they keep them with caps, near a fire place.most of the times they hang fire.

I have 2 Hawken cap locks and one Brown Bess flinter and 1 hawken flinter. I keep mine loaded all the time. I do clean em well immediately after
shooting. I then load em up and store them in a gun safe, with desiccant and a safe heater. The humidity is a constant 49% at 71F. After a hunt I discharge my firearm if it was cold and wet that day and clean it when I get home. If not I leave it loaded. I never get a hang fire or a click bang.
Yur mileage may vary good luck be safe and have fun.

Did the Indians put U here? "Twernt Mormons"

Back