• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

left handed guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Phillips

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am left handed but, I have never owned a left handed gun of any sort. Besides handguns I guess. Anyway for those that have a lefty is it worth it? I guess I have always just adapted. Shooting a flintlock is really a distraction though.

I am allso a lefty I shot a right handed gun off the left side for years, that was all that was around when I started back in the dark ages(1965)
After a while you learn to just zone out all that action and concentrate on the sights. If you see the flash & smoke chances are you have missed.

That being said I have built several left handed guns and they are well worth the extra cost. I love letting some right handed soul touch off a shot with my lefty. Gives him a tast of what us south paws have had to put up with all our lives.!

PS ;
To really drive the lesson home I recommend over priming the pan and a heavy load! :thumbsup:

Brad, Ol Vern got it right. I shot right handed caplocks from about 1970 until about 2000 when I switched to RH flints...a year or so ago, I finally admitted that every so often, I did notice the flash, and that cost me a good shot, so I bought my first LH flint...much better...look at the Lyman GPR or my favorite (and I have both) the Deerhunter....Hank

Well since the prices on firearms isn't dropping, I am figuring to get a lefty this time around. I never had a flinch problem until I got my rt. handed flinter. It has taken a lot of work to over come something so simple. And it still gets me once in a while.

There's just something about shooting a right hander with the left hand off to your "far right" that doesn't feel right ::
Hmmmm, do all them there rights make a wrong? :sorry:

I was offered a left handed T/C caplock New Englander for a price I could not refuse (I'm right-handed). The stock was straight, so that was no problem. It was like shooting a SxS hammergun with no right side barrel. Shot this gun for several years with no problems.....
... But I don't think I would like to shoot a wrong-sided flinter.

JW

Yes, it IS worth the extra $10 or so for a left hand gun. I shot right hand flinters and percussion for years until I got left hand guns. Now have a LH 45 percussion Ky. rifle that I built, a LH Curley Gostomsky Trade Gun I built from his kit, a Grand Rifle 54 flinter and a 45 cal. pistol a friend built for me, as well as all the right hand guns I had previously. Don't have to worry about singed arms any more, at least from the left handers. Emery

Back