• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lesmok powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a purely theoretical discussion, was DuPont's Lesmok powder ever available commercially for reloaders in its day (a century ago)?

If so, then would it have been suitable at all for muzzleloaders?

It was available according to Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading" copyright 1937. He warns the handloader who has a old can of Lesmoke or King's Semi-Smokeless to handle it gently. Sensitive to jarring, static (I know), impact and exposure to heat etc, etc. it was touchy stuff. Born in 1903 Phil Sharpe was a well known arms and ammo expert in the 30's, 40's and 50's until his untimely passing in 1961 at 57.

An alternative that I do not see talked about is Schultz powder. It was one of the first practical non black powders. It was wood nitrated by infusing it with barium and potassium nitrates.

Last edited:
An alternative that I do not see talked about is Schultz powder. It was one of the first practical non black powders. It was wood nitrated by infusing it with barium and potassium nitrates.
Sharpe mentioned it in history of the development of smokeless power. While not true smokeless it produced less smoke with more power than black powder.

Back