• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets discuss small bore guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryBaller

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm interested in a 32 or 36 for small game and for young shooters to use. What are the general opinions of the Crockett 32 cal? Is there a good 36 cal option being manufactured currently? Did TC ever make a 36 cal hawken?

I can’t speak to the Crockett rifle, though it seems most are very happy with them. TC made the Seneca and Cherokee rifles that were available in 32, 36 and 45. I have 2 Cherokee rifles, a 36 and a 45. They look like a scaled down TC renegade. Excellent size for youth or women. They are both very accurate rifles. The 36 is a ball to shoot.

I'm interested in a 32 or 36 for small game and for young shooters to use. What are the general opinions of the Crockett 32 cal? Is there a good 36 cal option being manufactured currently? Did TC ever make a 36 cal hawken?
Folks love their 32 caliber Crocketts. Personally not a fan, but that’s just one opinion.

You will have to search for a current production 36 caliber offerings, depends what you want.

TC never made a 36 caliber Hawken that I am aware of, though they made 32 and 36 caliber guns in other models, but not that many manufactured, so not all that common.

Investarm makes a 36 caliber Hawken, it’s called the Santa Fe. It has a 15/16”barrel though. I’d imagine they are heavy. Muzzle_loaders.com sells them.

Being a big fan of .32 calibers for squirrel hunting, I have found the Crockett Squirrel rifle to perform well on our little furry friends. It will shoot about as accurate as you can out to normal squirrel hunting distances. The Crockett is very economical on both powder and lead. Noise report on the shot is mild with 20 grains of 3F black powder. Some other items are the barrels are nice. Not just the bluing but the bore as well. Its also a light rifle and very easy to pack in the thick woods and brush.

*In terms of the wood, being some sort of hardwood from Europe, it is not as nice as rifles with American walnut. However, it will suffice.

*So far, the lock and trigger system, as well as the rest of the rifle has held up fine.

*Let it be known that I have really put my Crockett rifle through its paces and it has the battle scars to prove it. Its been on hunts in the rain for up to 6 hours and never failed to fire. Its been hunted with in very humid and hot conditions without issue. Much thick brush, has fallen over several times and landed on limestone and/or dirt/mud. Still no issues.

* Some people do not like a .32 due to the smaller diameter round ball. They contend it will be affected by wind drift. I hunt squirrels avidly but not during windy conditions so that is not a factor for this ole boy.

* Some people find the small .32 caliber round ball to be too difficult handle with cold and/or numb fingers. My solution to that is to use a loading block, mostly due to the fact that it shortens the amount of time and movement to reload out in the woods. I have constant numb fingers and hands due to an accident that resulted in a fused neck and I still do not experience problems with or without use of a loading block. However, there is no doubt that the smaller diameter round balls are somewhat difficult to deal with.

* The factory ramrod is terrible. A replacement hickory ramrod can be found at TOTW, or a brass ramrod from The Log Cabin Shop.

* The factory nipple is tapered too much resulting in caps falling off too easily. Replacements can be found at TOTW for $6.00

I do prefer to run a damp cleaning patch down the bore after every shot (or every 3rd shot max) followed by a couple of dry patches. I do not find the small bore to be an issue as some contend. It fouls no more nor no less than my big bores.

One thing is for certain. The more powder, the louder the shot and the more meat damage done to squirrels. With 20 grains of 3F Swiss and/or GOEX, I liken it to a .22 LR. When I bumped the charge up to 30 grains, it basically turned it into a .22 WM, in terms of noise and meat damage. I find 20 grains to be plenty.

Try as I have, considering how economical and quite the the Crockett is on the shot, I simply cannot seem to want to go to any larger caliber for my squirrel hunting.

I do not find the Crockett Squirrel Rifle to be the highest quality made rifle, but mine certainly has held up so far. In fact, I like them so much that I now own two of them.

Good luck on your search.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Being a big fan of .32 calibers for squirrel hunting, I have found the Crockett Squirrel rifle to perform well on our little furry friends. It will shoot about as accurate as you can out to normal squirrel hunting distances. The Crockett is very economical on both powder and lead. Noise report on the shot is mild with 20 grains of 3F black powder. Some other items are the barrels are nice. Not just the bluing but the bore as well. Its also a light rifle and very easy to pack in the thick woods and brush.

*In terms of the wood, being some sort of hardwood from Europe, it is not as nice as rifles with American walnut. However, it will suffice.

*So far, the lock and trigger system, as well as the rest of the rifle has held up fine.

*Let it be known that I have really put my Crockett rifle through its paces and it has the battle scars to prove it. Its been on hunts in the rain for up to 6 hours and never failed to fire. Its been hunted with in very humid and hot conditions without issue. Much thick brush, has fallen over several times and landed on limestone and/or dirt/mud. Still no issues.

* Some people do not like a .32 due to the smaller diameter round ball. They contend it will be affected by wind drift. I hunt squirrels avidly but not during windy conditions so that is not a factor for this ole boy.

* Some people find the small .32 caliber round ball to be too difficult handle with cold and/or numb fingers. My solution to that is to use a loading block, mostly due to the fact that it shortens the amount of time and movement to reload out in the woods. I have constant numb fingers and hands due to an accident that resulted in a fused neck and I still do not experience problems with or without use of a loading block. However, there is no doubt that the smaller diameter round balls are somewhat difficult to deal with.

* The factory ramrod is terrible. A replacement hickory ramrod can be found at TOTW, or a brass ramrod from The Log Cabin Shop.

* The factory nipple is tapered too much resulting in caps falling off too easily. Replacements can be found at TOTW for $6.00

I do prefer to run a damp cleaning patch down the bore after every shot (or every 3rd shot max) followed by a couple of dry patches. I do not find the small bore to be an issue as some contend. It fouls no more nor no less than my big bores.

One thing is for certain. The more powder, the louder the shot and the more meat damage done to squirrels. With 20 grains of 3F Swiss and/or GOEX, I liken it to a .22 LR. When I bumped the charge up to 30 grains, it basically turned it into a .22 WM, in terms of noise and meat damage. I find 20 grains to be plenty.

Try as I have, considering how economical and quite the the Crockett is on the shot, I simply cannot seem to want to go to any larger caliber for my squirrel hunting.

I do not find the Crockett Squirrel Rifle to be the highest quality made rifle, but mine certainly has held up so far. In fact, I like them so much that I now own two of them.

2 of them?! Does that mean you are going to sling one? "New York reload"? Ed! Your a Viking! 🤣

Thanks for the detailed reply. And the tips on the ramrod and nipple.

I love the idea of these small and light rifles.

I’m going try and track down either a Cherokee or a Crockett.

I'd bet even your twenty grain load is approaching .22 Mag velocity at squirrel shooting range and the ball is heavier than the typical .22 cal bullet at around 45-47 grains !

I own a Crockett and it’s been a good little gun. I don’t expect it to be as durable in the long run as a custom piece, it is a budget rifle after all. But it’s accurate and relatively cheap to get into the woods with. It handles and shoulders VERY well, too.
Agreed. That’s why I purchased another Crockett. Between the two, I figure I can always keep one going. According to Traditions, the Crockett stocks cost several hundred dollars alone.

I hope to find out just how far my first Crockett will go before anything breaks. My guess is it would be the lock first.

I truly wish we had other options out there comparable to the Crockett but there isn’t one being made nowadays. It really is the ideal squirrel rifle, in terms of weight, maneuverability, length and accuracy.

I would like to get my hands on an older TC .32 caliber. Never shot one.

Last edited:
I have owned a T/C Cherokee in the .32, it did not light my fire. The Senaca on the other was a ripe peach in the .36 cal. I see that T/C is being revived & being told they will again be making the Traditional models. If they make a Senaca again in the .36 i will buy one & hang on to it.

Pedersoli makes a Pennsylvania style rifle in 32 & 36, and the Frontier in both calibers too. For a shorter rifle, the Pedersoli scout (in 32 0r 36) is a nice handling rifle. If you can find and old CVA varmint or squirrel rifle they are light and have shorter barrels.

I currently own two TC Seneca rifles, a 45 and a 36. They're nice rifles. I had a CVA Varmint model in 32, it was a good shooter too. Sold that one to a fellow member here.

Post #6 by ETipp on the Crockett
32, well said. Mirrors my experience with and thoughts about this gun. I sold mine, a move I often regret.

Small game and small shooters. I didn't find the Crockett particularly petite. I'm not sure it would be the best choice for small shooter. I'm uncertain what else is on the market these days in .32 or .36 short of the .32 Crockett but I'm sure others here could steer you in that direction. I own both a. 36 T/C Seneca and a .32 Cherokee. I think the Cherokee might be the better of the two for smaller shooters. CVA once marketed a squirrel rifle close in size to the Cherokee. T/C Seneca, Cherokee and the CVA squirrel rifle haven't been made for years and seem to fetch a fair amount on the used market.

I'd suggest you take a good look at a used T/C Cherokee, the double set trigger model. The Cherokee was made in .32 and .45, there were apparently some made up in .36 but these seem harder to find. If your lucky you might find one in the price range of a new Crockett, maybe a few bucks more.

I had a Crockett for many years and it was a great woods companion and squirrel shooter. So I'd have to say I love the little Crockett. Mine is sadly gone now but I still have a .32 flintlock SMR "poor boy". The little rifles are favorites of mine, being cheap to feed, accurate and mild. Anything from sub super sonic loads, similar to the .22LR, to .22 magnum level loads are easily worked up in the .32 and even the .36.

My Crockett fits me very well and I find it balances very nicely. I love the sights too, very crisp. Good for squirrels. I like to hunt squirrels to harvest their meat for eating. It has a smooth, wholesome flavor.

Only thing I don’t like about it is I’m sure it’s not destined to last as long as something higher quality like a custom. Also the fitment of the lock plate to the stock and how the barrel interfaces with it makes for a very tight arrangement, and I managed to tear out some wood from behind the lock one time.

I added some tacks to mine. I’ve also got the little Crockett .32 pistol as a companion piece. It’s a fun little shooter for sure.

3DECBAFA-0A54-4AA4-8B3F-8342DA38DFCE.jpeg

With all of that being said, if I were in the market for a small bore I’d get one of Kibler’s mountain rifles in .32 or .36, but those are flinters.

Last edited:
Back