• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I shot my 40cal Tennessee flintlock with a Getz barrel and some Swiss 3f powder. I always shot goex powder for ever, luckily I bought 50 pounds of it year’s ago. Well, after hearing how good Swiss powder is, I picked up 2 pounds of 3f to try out. I weighed my powder charges and rbs and was expecting one ragged hole from my bench at 40yds. I decreased the load by 10% and later increased the load only to get dismal results. I call my Tennessee rifle my money gun because I always did pretty good at shoots with it. Totally frustrated, I got my powder horn with goex in it and grabbed my adjustable powder measure and shot a 5 round string. I got results like I got in the past! The sun was messing with my eyes but the group was way better than I got with the Swiss powder. I still have 8 pounds left of the old goex and I am going to stick with it!

Got my brothers shooting bag done, still haven’t decided on beading or not.
IMG_4622.jpeg

Today I shot my 40cal Tennessee flintlock with a Getz barrel and some Swiss 3f powder. I always shot goex powder for ever, luckily I bought 50 pounds of it year’s ago. Well, after hearing how good Swiss powder is, I picked up 2 pounds of 3f to try out. I weighed my powder charges and rbs and was expecting one ragged hole from my bench at 40yds. I decreased the load by 10% and later increased the load only to get dismal results. I call my Tennessee rifle my money gun because I always did pretty good at shoots with it. Totally frustrated, I got my powder horn with goex in it and grabbed my adjustable powder measure and shot a 5 round string. I got results like I got in the past! The sun was messing with my eyes but the group was way better than I got with the Swiss powder. I still have 8 pounds left of the old goex and I am going to stick with it!
Hmm, very interesting.

Do you think maybe you could get some walnut husks and give that bag a nice dark natural look? Any way, you did good.
Darn! Wish I would’ve done that before I sewn it together (red trade wool) on it… Not sure he’ll do any hunting with it so that probably won’t matter much anyways. Thanks for the compliment 😎👍

I browned my barrel with BC plum brown, 3 coats and coated it in 30w non detergent oil. Then I grabbed my scrapers and worked on smoothing the stock a bit. Cleaned up around the lock panels a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6590.jpeg
    IMG_6590.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6589.jpeg
    IMG_6589.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6588.jpeg
    IMG_6588.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6587.jpeg
    IMG_6587.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6586.jpeg
    IMG_6586.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6585.jpeg
    IMG_6585.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Cleaned the baking soda mush off my barrel and lock parts, still getting a little bit of rust while rubbing oil in. Can't tell if Tracks Tried and True brown is still active or if I'm just rubbing the brown off *shakes fist*. It's been three days of oil soak, cleaning, baking soda malarkey. I just want to put the rifle back together dangit!

Worked on the investarm patch box today. I’m not a fan of the size or how it looks. Well I can’t do anything about the size but I was able to change the look of it. I made a new cap out of 1/16” steel, used a piece of 8” pipe as a mandrel to get real close to the profile, cut the old cap down and attached the new cap with machine screws. Then ground the heads down past the slots to look like rivets. Then I opened up the original patch box wood portion, now it’s actually usable in size. The patch box was proud of the wood when I bought it, so I took a bit off the back so now it’s just below the wood. I will work the wood to the patch box now.

Attachments

• IMG_6592.jpeg
    IMG_6592.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6598.jpeg
    IMG_6598.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6596.jpeg
    IMG_6596.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6599.jpeg
    IMG_6599.jpeg
  • IMG_6600.jpeg
    IMG_6600.jpeg
Made a trip to the Cresco Iowa gun show today. Had a swap with a long time friend set up. Came home with a 62 cal (20gauge) Trade gun. Don't know the maker but it is unfired and my friend bought it about 30? years ago. One of many he had collected. It will not stay unfired.
We gots to see the pictures!

That was a rabbit hat with a raccoon tail sewn into it. Took the tail off and cut up some old chap leather I had for the brim, heavy leather but pliable. Template was a baseball hat brim. Sewn with artificial sinew, it's not coming loose anytime soon. :) Instant mountain man hat...haha.
Looks good!

Latest posts

Back