• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Light Goex charges with .45cal PBR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
SITUATION

I have a .45cal flintlock, 32" X 1:66" RB barrel, zeroed at 25yds for target practice, Hornady .440's, .018" prelubed pillow ticking, and 50grns Goex FFFg. It's extremely accurate, should be perfect for small game like squirrels & rabbits, however, it might be a little 'hot' with .50grns Goex FFFg.

QUESTION

Does anyone have personal hands-on experience with a .45cal PBR using light charges of 30, 35, 40, or 45grns Goex FFFg?

First off: The loads I give are from the Lyman Black Powder Handbook...

All load results are for the 32 inch barrel, using a .445 diameter (133 grain) round ball, .015 pillow tick patch using Crisco as lube and G-O (Gearhart-Owen) FFFg powder...

25 grains FFFg, 1143 fps. 385 FT/lbs muzzle energy
30 grains FFFg, 1240 fps. 453 FT/lbs muzzle energy
35 grains FFFg, 1337 fps. 527 FT/lbs muzzle energy
40 grains FFFg, 1433 fps. 605 FT/lbs muzzle energy
45 grains FFFg, 1530 fps. 690 FT/lbs muzzle energy

Your Mileage May Vary...

I onced owned a .45 caliber percussion rifle, I shot light loads through it with great results.

The economics of the light load can't be beat, a 25 grain charge will yeild 280 shots per pound of FFFg powder, compaired to a meer 100 shots at 70 grain charges...

Light loads are easier in the wallet, easier on the shoulder and your ears, there's less of a "CRACK" produced with the lighter loads...

Plus it's fun...

Thanks MM...and I've got the '75 edition of the LBPM also...
Planning to try a couple of those lighter charges, just don't know what to expect in terms of actual hunting experience...ie: is there a minimum charge threshold that needs to be maintained to keep a flat enough trajectory for a .440 at small game distances, etc...wanted to go try some this morning but a huge rain front passed through last night and it's cold with winds just howling as the trailing edge moves through...have to wait until next weekend :(

I have use 25-30 gr. in my several .45 cal guns for short range "varmit trail walks" and small game and have found that the poa/poi is close to that with heavy loades at longer ranges.

while sighting in and arriving at powder loads for my .45 flint with 37" barrel last fall,i found that 50 gr. fffg was poa at 25 yards. also, found that 55 gr. was poa at 50 yards, and 60 gr. was on at 75 yards, and finally that 65 gr. was poa at 100 yards. consequently i made two chargers. one is for 50 gr. and used for close in shooting(red squirrels, rabbits, grouse,etc.) and the other for more distance and holds 65 gr. for deer. sure was handy how it all worked out.

take care, daniel

Just because it was a real good reason to go to the range today I decided to find out what reducing the powder load for small game. (The things I do you you guys!)
Not knowing what your distance for your small game is I decided to shoot at 25 yards. I was shooting off the bench using my elbows to steady the shots. I would have used a machine rest to make it really scientific but I don't own one and I figure you wouldn't want to tote one along while your out hunting. (Course the bench might be a little heavy to carry along too but I can tell you right now, my offhand shooting would have shown only that I shouldn't shoot offhand.)

The gun I used is a Pedersoli Tryon ,45 caliber 1:60 twist with (close your eyes and look ahead if your squeamish) Mid range diopter tang sight and an Lyman hooded front sight with a small post insert in it). OK, YOU CAN LOOK NOW.
The load I was shooting was a .445 Round ball/.016 Patch with T/C 1000 lube and standard CCI #11 caps. The powder I used was (look away again) Pyrodex P.
At 25 yards 10 shots with 50 Grains of powder (about 1550 FPS) the center of the group (3/4 inch dia) was 1/2 inch above the X.
10 shots with 24 Grains of powder group (also 3/4 inch dia) was about 1/8 inch below the X. (I'm guessing but I think it is about 950 FPS)
For those who don't like to add up fractions this amounts to about 5/8 inch drop at 25 yards.

From all of this hard work, I came to my own conclusion which is: If the critter has a head about 1 1/4 diameter and your shooting at about 25 yards, it isn't going to make any difference at all. Load down and shoot for the point of aim like it was a moderate load and you'll be eating tonight.

All this work made me tired so I only took a few shots with each load at 50 yards. At that range the drop for the 24 grains was about 3 inches lower than the 50 grain loads point of impact so you might want to keep that in mind.

Side note: The 24 grain load did cause several people to wonder what was wrong with my gun because instead of the supersonic Crack there was only a little Pop!

Good huntin to ye!

That's good info...I'd probably want to avoid the 3" drop at 50yds in case I get a chance to put a ball in a
Buck's ear while squirrel hunting so I'll try 35-40grns, see what it will do at both distances...thanks

Back