• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Liquid Alox OVER bullets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OD#3

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read some posts in the last few weeks discussing the carrying of C&B revolvers for self defense. I'm on the side of the people who urge one to carry the best modern pistol he can afford. But it did get me to wondering about how one would lube his bullets if he planned on leaving his C&B revolver loaded all the time like that. I prefer using wads under the bullet instead of grease over the chamber because the flash from the cylinder gap just blew the grease all over my pistol when I tried the grease. Black powder is messy enough withough having to be greasy too. But would the wonder wads and their ilk slowly contaminate and degrade the powder in a chamber that was left loaded for weeks on end? Has anyone else thought about skipping the wad and then removing the cylinder, dribbling Lee Liquid Alox over the bullet and letting it dry (takes a good while and rules out using this product in casual shooting) before reassembling the firearm and capping it for extended carry? Again, a C&B revolver would be VERY low on my list of routine self-defense options, but I was just wondering about the Liquid Alox for those intrepid (and arguably, foolishly romantic) few.

As one is not going to reload the thing during a gunfight anyhow you probably dont need any lube.........I use just a small amount in front of the ball......maybe a stiff beexwax/crisco mix.........I suppose the liquid alox would keep leading down,but do nothing for fouling.............If I were going to use one for self defence I'd fire the thing every so often and put a fresh load in.............Bob

OD#3, I have never used the liquid Alox but I do use the wheel bearing grease because of it's thick consistency. Even in hot weather I haven't had it run out. Provides a good lube for the bullet and keeps the cylinder sealed. I push it on the face of the ball with my little finger so it is down around the ball, leveled across the chamber mouth would be a messy affair. That would be way too much lube in my experience. You might try the wheel bearing grease.
Don

I have a 3rd model dragoon I keep for home defense.It is loaded all the time.Once a year I take it out back and fire[url] it.In[/url] 5 years I have ne'er a miss fire,hangfire nor any powder contamination due to the wads under the balls.Forget the lube,you have experienced what happens w/ that stuff.That lubing the cylinders is from back in the early days of repro guns,before they came out w/ wads.Forget the lube.Best regards,J.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back