• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Little Adjustments

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your time and take tiny amounts. It doesn't grow back. I added a higher sight and "squared" up my rear sight with micro-files. Safed on the edges and masked with tape to prevent "oopses". Did the last passes ar the range with a Norton medium grit stone.

Attachments

• 2A6737EC-7489-4879-9C19-FB55BFAA5C5A.jpeg
    2A6737EC-7489-4879-9C19-FB55BFAA5C5A.jpeg
    82.1 KB
  • 9E10A280-1761-49C5-A418-5495734ECE66.jpeg
    9E10A280-1761-49C5-A418-5495734ECE66.jpeg
    69.1 KB
Take your time and take tiny amounts. It doesn't grow back. I added a higher sight and "squared" up my rear sight with micro-files. Safed on the edges and masked with tape to prevent "oopses". Did the last passes ar the range with a Norton medium grit stone.

Really like the idea of a stone to do the finish work. 👍

It isn't my rifle,,,,, and filing the notch in the rear sight will not make the gun shoot higher.. Filing the notch alone will not do anything.

But, thanks for catching my typo. Unfortunately it is too late to edit that 1st post. I did mean filing, the entire, rear sight will lower the group,,,, which I think I covered in follow up posts.
It was a typo though so thanks for catching it.

Do what ever floats your boat! I was just trying to save you from messing up the rifle. I guess I have been doing it wrong all these 59 years? I find it ironic that I never had a problem and you do but you are telling me I am wrong?You go ahead and file that notch down to your hearts content the light will eventually come on !

I like the front post to fill that little notch, making a flat plan with a brass center, then a 6 O'clock hold. . .so something like
Yup, I get that, same as I do. You could paint a little circle right on top of that yellow square and that's where it'll hit, like a ball sitting on a square block. I like a front blade just wide enough to fill the rear notch from side to side, not too skinny where I have to center the gaps, not to wide where ya have to look for the edge.

What I found with aging eyes is it's all about the light and how it hit's your eye through that sight picture.
In the field and/or on the range for a full day, the light changes during the day, the sun moves, right? Over-cast, partial sun, those big dark fluffy drifting clouds,,
I've given myself the ability to change with that, hear me out.
First off, mask-off and paint that nice clean an pretty top flat of the barrel, ya know the barrel that looks so nice after cleaning,, light reflects off the top flat,, all the way along your sight picture.
I use a rattle can of flat black, cheap stuff, when I want it gone, brake cleaner on a soft cloth wipes it off. Heck, a proper cared for barrel has a light oil coating to begin with,, it ain't nothin permanent at all, it's just there to stop reflection an glare.
Sorry Sean, it's late now an I'm tired,, there's some more tricks I've gleaned from others that work well too,, I'll share later
Good luck friend.

Do what ever floats your boat! I was just trying to save you from messing up the rifle. I guess I have been doing it wrong all these 59 years? I find it ironic that I never had a problem and you do but you are telling me I am wrong?You go ahead and file that notch down to your hearts content the light will eventually come on !
Can't you read?
IT IS NOT MY RIFLE.
And, I am NOT the one advocating filing the notch down. I've said at least 3 times the filing the notch alone will not do anything.

I have even stated that my saying filing the ENTIRE rear sight would raise the group was a typo, that I meant it would lower the group.. In another post I even provided pictures of an example of a rear sight I filed and, LOWERED the group.

You caught one typo, for which I thanked you, but can't seem to figure out the meaning of the rest of my posts? Deliberate?

Can't you read?
IT IS NOT MY RIFLE.
And, I am NOT the one advocating filing the notch down. I've said at least 3 times the filing the notch alone will not do anything.

I have even stated that my saying filing the ENTIRE rear sight would raise the group was a typo, that I meant it would lower the group.. In another post I even provided pictures of an example of a rear sight I filed and, LOWERED the group.

You caught one typo, for which I thanked you, but can't seem to figure out the meaning of the rest of my posts? Deliberate?

You need to write slower! I don'tread fast?

What I found with aging eyes is it's all about the light and how it hit's your eye through that sight picture
So this is truth. Again, it's best to adapt with changing light. I found a brass front hasn't worked well. It helps in the in the morning and evening for sure, picks up just enough light to be seen and fill's that rear slot just fine. But as the day changes and you move to different places, seeking in different directions, there is a "glint" that comes off the brass that really changes things,,ya still need a dark blade to fill that dark rear. As you focus upfront at reflecting brightness brass makes it tough to find the dark rear groove.
It's about your eyes, your brain and the chemicals of the human body that make your eyes work.

That one to the right? That's from what's called a "peek".
Follow through brother, follow through,

It is amazingly hard to go from center fire to Flintlock (At least for me) Follow through is a learned skill, until I got this rifle (my 1st of now 2 flintlocks) I had no idea how bad my follow through really was. Herb here on the Forums built this rifle and told me at the time it wasn't heavy enough at the muzzle for his liking. After shooting other front heavy rifles I can see what he means. That said, god how I love this rifle!!! That she needs better follow through on my part is just more reason for range time :) Once I'm sure the sights and load are in order I won't be shooting from the bench any more. I'll shoot sitting or kneeling or standing to get ready for hunting.

It is amazingly hard to go from center fire to Flintlock (At least for me) Follow through is a learned skill, until I got this rifle (my 1st of now 2 flintlocks) I had no idea how bad my follow through really was. Herb here on the Forums built this rifle and told me at the time it wasn't heavy enough at the muzzle for his liking. After shooting other front heavy rifles I can see what he means. That said, god how I love this rifle!!! That she needs better follow through on my part is just more reason for range time :) Once I'm sure the sights and load are in order I won't be shooting from the bench any more. I'll shoot sitting or kneeling or standing to get ready for hunting.
Sean, 1st, let me apologize for my failure to proofread contributing to the derailment of your thread.

Second, for future readers of this topic, I can't edit my 1st reply. So, please understand,
Screenshot_20210718-111728_Chrome.jpg
The higher portion is wrong. I meant to say that filling the entire top edge would bring the group lower. Which I think my follow up posts show.
of course this doesn't matter for the style of sight Sean, the o.p., is using.

Again, my apologies, I wish that the contradiction between what 1st wrote and my follow ups had been pointed out sooner.

It is amazingly hard to go from center fire to Flintlock (At least for me) Follow through is a learned skill,
Oh man, I know that one, I hear ya.
The advise I know you've seen and heard over and over is the dry-fire drill,, it helps..
But what really helped me,, was having a trusted friend (an experienced shooter of CF only) just watch me while shooting.
A non-bias observer,, just standing behind, and doing nothing but watching what my body/brain does when that flash/boom thing happened.
I always knew there was a BIG time natural Flinch>,,
But someone "seeing" what happens and when was an eye opener
It helped me understand ,, me,,

p.s.,, there was laughing when it began,, him,, not me

Oh man, I know that one, I hear ya.
The advise I know you've seen and heard over and over is the dry-fire drill,, it helps..
But what really helped me,, was having a trusted friend (an experienced shooter of CF only) just watch me while shooting.
A non-bias observer,, just standing behind, and doing nothing but watching what my body/brain does when that flash/boom thing happened.
I always knew there was a BIG time natural Flinch>,,
But someone "seeing" what happens and when was an eye opener
It helped me understand ,, me,,

p.s.,, there was laughing when it began,, him,, not me
Even better, have that observer video you. Game day footage to learn from.

Even better, have that observer video you. Game day footage to learn from.
Sure, I suppose. But for me that would have been a mute issue. The lesson observed was learned THAT day. There was no need to continue to review that lesson,
, because to grow, you need to move on to the next lesson.
It's progressive (life), strive to continue learning, don't repeat the same lesson over and over ;)

Back