• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

little tin containers.Where can I purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I`ve been searching for little tin,copper or brass containers that I can put my lube in and also my pre lubed shot wads and carry in my bag..Cant really find any..Do any of you know where I can get a few??The wifes tupperware container isnt very traditional and she wants it back..

I just throw Altoid and Sucret tins into my camp fire and burn off the paint, then wire brush if needed. You can brown them or paint 'em flat black, what ever you like. I've also done the same thing to empty shoe polish cans. I believe Dixie and TOTW also sell small tins.

Jewelry supply houses. I just saw a bunch of sizes last week.

Tinker2

I use my hunting pard's discarded Copenhagen cans for my lube, wads, patches and other things that need some plastic protection around them. They work just great and I don't have to chew. :thumbsup:

I second Mazo Kid, but suggest doing the same thing to air gun pellet containers. Just find a size you like (preferably the without a screw-on lid) and throw in the fire, etc.

propane torch (in a well-ventilated area) works also”“just as long as you watch your heat and don't mishape the metal

What a good question. I've been mulling this over for weeks with no good ideas.

I use empty chew cans too. Work great for patches, lube, balls, flies, worms, grubs, hooks and line, a couple lures for a survival kit. Just my 2 cents thrown in. Mac.

Camel makes a tobacco tin that contains little tobacco pouches called SNUS.About the size of a cell phone. Works great for patches and stuff. I guess you could burn or sand off the paint if you like!

For me it's altoid containers and the small wooden round boxes that Dixie sells. They're pretty cute when you stain and finish them. They make nice patch boxes.

Most Hobby stores have all kinds and sizes of tins, as to shops that sell crafts. Go to The Tedd Cash Products website to see all the various size and shaped containers he sells for such stuff. I have a brass can the size of a percussion cap tin, in which i keep the extra caps. I have two brass tins that are about 2 1/2 diameter around that I use to store dry pre-cut patches, and lubed patches. I have a large tin he sells with a magnifying glass that holds my flint and steel, charcloth and hemp rope for firestarting. MY tin for actually charring cloth is a former electrician's tape can that has had all the paint burned off, and a small nail hole put into the center to allow steam to escape during the process.

Most shooters make do with whatever they have, or can scrounge. Most don't buy actual tins. The members here have given you a good idea of the wide assortment of tins that have been re-used for these purposes. There are as many other sources as their are sources. I have not yet used an old shoe polish tin for this kind of thing. Its been awhile since I bought one of those large tins. I have been using a polish that has the consistency of cold cream, and comes in jars with metal screw lids. Its very fast to apply to shoes, dries quickly, and and polishes well. I am going to have to make a metal note to do some comparison pricing on that polish vs. the older kind in the tins.

I purchased brass containers from muzzloading emprorium. They worked well. One thing to consider....you mentioned using them for lube. I used a brass snuff box to hold bore butter and after a while, I discovered that the bright yellow lube was now bright green...Still worked, but brass has a tendancy to turn wet things green.

About once a year I buy a tin of cigars that come in a tin about 2x6x1/2 inch an opens like a book. I put some of Stumpy's moose snot in it this summer and ended up with a layer of snot that is real easy to wipe a patch across.

Didn't burn the paint off of it, guess I'm not to PC yet.

If you know a carpenter...drywall saw blades come in small tins. Perfect size for what you need. They are the round blades for a tech saw. I use them for anything, and everything. Just let them take on their own patina. Hope this helps.

Back