• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Living off the land foods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crockett said:
What about mushrooms? Sort of strange but I can't recall ever reading a period piece where mushrooms are mentioned.

probably because of the rather high probability they could kill you/you could trip balls.

i think the whole 'mushrooms as a delicacy' thing started in europe and didn't carry over for a long time. but i could be off.

acorns can be gathered, hulled and boiled then eaten. haven't done that but if hole in belly says so I would.
myself I think I'd look for fish to trap, spear.

How about "may apples"? Once I taught my daughter they were fine to eat when ripe, can't keep her off 'em. Luckily, they grow in the back yard.

Also, right now (for here at least) would be time to start tapping trees. I've got some that flow best when warmer and another that flows when colder.

Out here on the we(s)t side of Oregon it would be wapato and camas bulbs. May be still a tad too early, though. The eels should be running soon, too.

Bakeoven Bill said:
Out here on the we(s)t side of Oregon it would be wapato and camas bulbs. May be still a tad too early, though. The eels should be running soon, too.

mmm, eels. got a favorite recipe to share? :grin:

I was trekking through the woods and suddenly I smelled mint, I stop looked down and I was standing in wild mint, this same thing happen to me with wild onion. I dug up these plants and planted them on my property.
I purposely plant some of these plants that have been mention here and plant them on my property.
Good stuff to have around!

Puffballs are great, easy to identify and are available for most of the summer and fall. They are plentiful so you can get a lot to eat. But NEVER eat a mushroom that you are not 100% sure of. Poisonous mushrooms will permanently injure your kidneys.

I still have frozen mix of sauted wild chanterelles and hen of the woods fungi in my freezer. I was gonna make some jaegerschnitzel with them but forgot all about it. I made an elderberry pie today. Waiting for it to cool. Smells good! In spring I always have at least one wild salad with (young) pokeweed and various other wild greens etc. Morel mushrooms are pretty hard to beat and sassafrass tea is tasty too. You need to dig the roots before leaves appear.

supper yesterday eve was a thick slice of deer ham braised in cast iron skillet along with wild fresh picked oyster 'shrooms, sweet onion and bell pepper slices. and baked Irish 'taters from my garden.
had wild blueberry cobbler for desert, berrys picked from the Blue Ridge Parkway area. sweet as sugar.

Coming back from the evening hunt for the frogs and armadillo with onions and new potatoes buried under the coals...we should have used the cat tail roots.
There's an old saying down south, "Hunger is the best sauce".

Back