• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load For Humane Kill?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The standard 100 yd target from the NRA for rifles has a 6 inch bullseye. Some MLing clubs prefer the 8 inch bullseye. Most of the bead front sights on commercially made rifles will cover an 8 inch bullseye. Some are even larger.

I prefer a front sight bead that only covers 3-4 inches at 100 yds. It allows me to take a closer "bead" on my targets, and to make small windage adjustment moving the sight laterally on the target( "Kentucky windage") in the field.

There are Cross-hairs on some rifle scopes that cover up as much as 4 inches of the target at 100 yds. The Target shooters, however, use the globe front sights, with the disc inserts that allow you to circle the bullseye, rather than stacking the front bead under the bullseye. (figure "8")

I used to use 75-80 gr 3f with a .530/.535 PRB in my .54 rifle a bit more in the smoothbores,of the same bore this load or heavier as is comfortable and accurate for you will do the job on Elk and Deer. I would suggest a 75 yds "limit" and open primitive sights to get the most out of the gun,load, and experience if the latter is of importance to you.

Paul and tg,

Is there a thinner front sight available I can put on my gun? The bead that comes with the gun is too big, and like you say Paul. It covers the target. I could use a 6 o clock hold to get away from that, but i'm more comfortable holding on the target.

I was thinking of filing the sides of the bead to thin it up, but i'm not sure how that will work out.

Capper,

GMBoy steered you exactly right. Also, I have never had any problem getting a TC .54 barrel to shoot accurately with 80 grains of ff.

Most of the rb elk I've seen killed were with around 80 grains with a .54. If it will shoot well with a little more powder, go ahead and inch it up.

I'd take that gun out and start at 100 grains. If it shoots good there, then stay there. If not, work down to an accurate load.

I'm with you on the shooting sticks. The single "moses" stick does not have much stability and the cross sticks are a pain to bring into play. If you can deploy cross sticks in any given situation, you can also shoot from the knee.

I have never stayed with a beaded front sight I like a primitive u notch/square notch rear and a plain blade front which can be filed for width and elevation, for me this type of sight comes up faster than the bead type and does not cover the game, as I put the POA on top of the blade which sets even with the top of the notch in the rear sight, the rear notch should be wide enough or the blade narrow enough for daylight to show on both sides and a bit of white/red nail polish on the back of the blade may also be of benefit, any gun can easily be converted to this system I believe

I would replace it with a standard flat top post, that is thinner than the bead, from any of the suppliers. You can buy some fairly narrow front sight blades, that will give you the smaller aiming point.

I did file down an "8 inch" bead on a Marlin rifle one, and it took lots of time, lots of labor, and lots of checking to make it look right, while still offering a smaller "bead" sight. I would have been smarter to try to find a small bead sight from Marble, to replace the entire front sight. I have since bought an old, Take-down Winchester Model 94, made in 1916, that came with the smaller, Marble Co. Bead front sight. Track of the Wolf has replacement sights, but Brownell's seems to offer the widest assortment of front sights of all heights, and bead sizes. Do some shopping on line. :thumbsup:

Here's the website for Marble's:
http://www.marblearms.com/

Brownell's prints a chart for figuring out the right height of front sight right in its catalog. You can get its web address off the " Links" here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capper said:
You know i'm going to listen to you. I just hope I can find a GM barrel. The .54's are hard to find, and it doesn't look like GM is making them anymore. I need to keep Joe busy cutting my barrel. :grin:

I'm setting the gun up more for hunting now, so I might put a peep on it. I'd like to extend my distance to 100 yds if I can. If not. 75 yds it is.

A much better response than I expected. Thanks again everybody. :thumbsup:

Hey Pete you don't have to go with a drop in barrel if you can't find what you want.
P.M. Coyote Joe and get his advise, he can do a drop in or just order the barrel you want and rebarrel it.

Capper said:
I was thinking more of where I can get the primitive sights?

Track has all the sites you will need.
Their wish book is worth the five bucks they charge
Capper for open sites I use the 3/8 dove tail T.C. front blade(not H.C.) so I can see my site as well as my target(I shoot like T.G.) for the rear I use the feather site(a pain to cut that wide dovetail) or the simple 3/8 semie buck, because I like to shoot a flat plane I may file the buck horn off(little nubs)
and cut the notch in rear site just big enough to have windage light on eather side of your front when sited.
As for a cool looking ol timy peep,Track has that over the breach tang peep site,like I stated that is what I use for long range shooting and above tree line hunting.
All my flints have a fixed primitive site.
:thumbsup:

I just talked to Pecatonica River. They have .50 barrels, but are expecting the .54's in a few weeks.

I'm going to wait for that. They have a good price too. $190.

Back