• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loaded Flea Market Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a while on the pics. For some reason I can't access PhotoBucket right now. :confused: As soon as I can I will.

OldShotgun1-1.jpg

If the barrels are okay, that stock can be replaced with a duplicate for a fairly small cost. Talk to Dick Greensides at Pecatonica about making a copy from the wood you have. You will have to piece it together, and glue it, in order for him to have something to duplicate, but duplicating the original stock will save lots of time in inletting and finishing the stock. Those back Action locks were used from just around the Civil War, to about the turn of the century. They were available as parts in hardware stores clear up past WWII. I think you can still get the actions and parts from Dixie, or " Gun Parts Corp."

It certainly is worth what you paid for it, and probably more. With the history you already have for the gun, it would be worth restoring. You can find another trigger guard for you chunk gun. :hatsoff:

Once I decide if the barrels are safe enough, I may do a rebuild. I have some walnut here to stock it with. I'll have to make all the internal lock parts, they're trash. And it may be a while before I can do it. I have two rifles in the works now and I'm making the lock for one from scratch.

Even if it was just an old cheap gun I hate to see it disappear into a parts bin. But even if I don't rebuild it, at least parts of it will eventually be given new life.
:grin:

Ive got a set of double barrel back actions...one needs a hammer and the other the tumbler is worn. If you're intrested send me a PM. they look close to the same as the ones you have. Now I need to remember where I put em.
Highlander
P.S Found 'em. The springs and other parts are in great shape.

Interesting and cool story. Once upon a time at a local gun shop I saw an interesting rifle in the rack so I asked the clerk if I could take a closer look. He handed me the rifle and I immediately worked the bolt only to have a LIVE round eject onto the glass counter top. I don't know if the thud in my chest or the clank on the glass was louder. Anyhow, he was very appoligetic, but I have not been back to this store since then.

that shotgun resembles very closely a muzzle loading SXS that an old farmer around here 'Doc' Owen carried hunting with my Dad when I was a youngster. he got his deer nearly every fall with that thing and squacks too. he hunted with it until late '60's when he gave hunting up due to age.

Back