• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Blocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowithone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any body know someone that makes these blocks. Saw 1 awhile back I think it was a beaver loading block. Thanks. :hatsoff:

Check the CLA for sale listings. I have one on every bag I own. You can make one to hold as many balls as you want. They are very easy to make :thumbsup:

Huntin Dawg made this way fancy one for me out of oak.

HPIM1010-1.gif

Clockwise - maple seven and three holers, walnut, cherry (given to me by Prior Mt. Bill) and purpleheart.
IM000565a.jpg

This is a .66 cal out of pine.
HPIM2713.jpg

Very nice. I really like the way you set up your 66 kit. Curious about the screwdriver and it's origin.
Did you use a sucrets box or such for your patch and plug stowage? Is the other rectangular box for flint or char cloth use?

Thanks for the photos
Patrick

I make my loading blocks.....and if you buy one, no doubt you'll have to adjust the size of the holes for a proper fit. Not too loose but not so tight that they're hard to load the PRBs.

Also, because I load the PRBs so that they protrude out the bottom by nearly half a dia, the center distance between holes has to accommodate the bbl size. I find that by having the PRBs protrude, they center nicely w/ the bore..

Also...there's a tendency to have too may holes. My loading block for squirrels has 6 and for big game, only 4 holes.

The hole size is adjusted by wrapping sandpaper around a mandrel and then using a drillpress. Be sure to apply patch lube into the hole when enlarging for the PRB....difference in friction.....Fred

Don't buy loading blocks, they are too easily made. As you can see from some of the pictures, you can make them out of just about any kind of wood. Hard woods make the best loading blocks but as Stumpkiller showed, you can even make them from pine. Be sure to make the holes just large enough for the ball to fit in snugly enough that it doesn't fall out but not so tight that you end up splitting the block. :hatsoff:

Loading blocks are fun to make and do not take a lot of talent.

For those who lack talent, look at the Possible's Shop under custom made things. I was fascinated at the loading blocks and ordered one, it is really nice workmanship.

It really fits nicely with horner75's flat horn, Wally's custom made vent pick and cutfingers ball bag.

Socal147 said:
Very nice. I really like the way you set up your 66 kit. Curious about the screwdriver and it's origin.
Did you use a sucrets box or such for your patch and plug stowage? Is the other rectangular box for flint or char cloth use?

Thanks for the photos
Patrick

The screwdriver came from Track of the Wolf and I did some ergonomic rework.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/120/1/TOOL-TURN-U

The boxes are two sizes of Altoids peened to remove the embossed tradename, thrown in a wood fire, wire brushed and then wiped with old motor oil. They take on that nice fireblue all by themselves. The tools & jags go in the bag and the bag goes in the smaller tin. That keeps them all quiet - plus I have emergency patching if needed.

Since then I have also added a dozen porcupine quills for vent picks from an obliging porcupine that I found dead in the woods.

And I also swapped out the block for six .66 paper cartridges in another tin. Very convenient and modular. But I still use blocks for my rifles.

HPIM2710.jpg

DSCN0119.jpg

I have a copper tinderbox I don't carry in my shooting bag.

Shooting bag is all nice and tidy.
DSCN0630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
I do believe I have a few projects ahead of me. I might try the used motor oil process on my 1855 cartridge box (tins). They look too new to me. I am off next week and will finally get a chance to go shooting. :grin:

Stumpkiller said:
.......The boxes are two sizes of Altoids peened to remove the embossed tradename, thrown in a wood fire, wire brushed and then wiped with old motor oil. They take on that nice fireblue all by themselves........

Altoid boxes! Of course! Stumpkiller, since I saw your post in the other forum with that photo, I've been looking around for tins like that. The funny part is I have an altoid box in my bag right now, just not peened and stripped. Guess what I'm going to when I get home tonight! :rotf:

Thanks for the great ideas!

Johnny Dollar said:
Altoid boxes! Of course! Stumpkiller, since I saw your post in the other forum with that photo, I've been looking around for tins like that. The funny part is I have an altoid box in my bag right now, just not peened and stripped. Guess what I'm going to when I get home tonight! :rotf:

Thanks for the great ideas!

A bit of steel wool with some acetone combined with a bit of elbow grease will also remove the paint.

Back