• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock for I.D.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Well, here's another lock I can't I.D. No marks or numbers of any kind. The banana shape of the plate makes me think pre-1800. But the curvature of the frizzen (and to a some what lesser degree) the double throught hammer makes me think post-1800. The really strange thing is the BRASS bridle. :hmm: But it is obviously original to the lock. My first thought was an 1817 Common Rifle. But I know it's not. Looks English or American made. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick.
020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Definitely post 1800, I am not seeing much of a "banana" shape to the plate at all, just a slight curve which is normal for a lock of the period.

The hammer style and everything else point to an American style lock of a military style but it is not military. Maybe the hammer is a replacement? It is a nice looking lock and you are right, the brass bridal is unusual, it has to be a replacement for the original which was iron/steel.

This lock looks to me like it falls right in the area of 1795-1805. The curl at the top of the lock and the shape of the frizzen including the curl at the stop are just two of the features that stand out. I think it may have been on a New England militia musket of that period. I like it a lot...thanks for sharing.

Very Nice lock Indeed. Are You planning on using it in a build, or just collecting? That would look nice on a trade rifle...

Thanks guys for your input. I was just planing on adding this to my lock collection. That brass bridle is so unusual. :hmm: Rick.

Back