• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Lubrication

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseejeff

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Folks. I have a rifle with an L&R Classic Flintlock. My question is, how and where should I lubricate the lock? I'm assuming that only tiny amounts of lube at a few critical points would be needed. Also, what to use as a lubricant. I found a small tube of Gunslick in my shop, would that work?
Thanks,
Jeff

I use bear oil,tallow, sweet oil each depending on the temperature. Game oils will solidify a bit in cold weather slowing down ignition. Sweet oil works good in this case. :m2c:

I use a graphite based grease on all beating surfaces and also in the area where the springs move. :redthumb:

Place one drop of oil anywhere in the lock where two pieces of metal rub together.

This can be any good lube, but animal fats will cake up in the cold.

In a pinch you can use sunflower seed oil from the kitchen cabinet or kerosene from the heater.

This is not a high speed, high temp, high friction application, do not get overly concerned about the quality of the lube.

Like Bull said, some of us use bear grease on occasion, just to be "folksey". Goose grease and hog lard will work if necessary.

Heck, you're from the south too! Wipe it down good with a buttered biscuit! It'll work.

:RO:

Thanks, folks. That's exactly what I needed to know. I might try the biscuit. Nothing surprises my wife anymore!
Jeff

Two ways of doing it: the "old" way, as Bull mentioned, and the "new" way.

I use a tiny amount of Rem Oil or CLP Breakfree on any internal friction point in my percussion locks. For my flintlocks I use oilve oil. The frizzens I "dry lube" by oiling and wiping dry with a cotton rag, then "drawing" on the wear spots with a #2 pencil. This deposits a bit of graphite on the parts.

Definately don't over-oil the inside of the lock. The oil can migrate back up between the barrel and the pan, and oil-soak the prime, which by the way can be mistaken as water/moisture, and make you think the prime has drawn moisture "from the air".

DO NOT ask me how I know that.

:curse:

Rat

Well Rat, we all know it isn't water in your case, cuz you don't touch the stuff. :crackup: Man, a person that will spend all that hard earned money on fancy smancy cleaning solvents, when good 'ol water has been around and working well forever. Sheeeeeeesh ::

O.K. Reb, got to edeecate you about water:

Fish, shellfish, and all sea mammals poop and pee in it.

::

People drown in it.

:cry:

Floods, damns break, it errodes entire mountains, the Chinese torture people with it, boating accidents, cracked engine blocks, tidal waves.

:cry:

Except for wet T-shirts, :hmm: :shocking: it's terrible stuff.

:curse:

Wake up and smell the solvent!!!

:nono:

Rat.

O.K. Reb, got to edeecate you about water:

Fish, shellfish, and all sea mammals poop and pee in it.

Ok Rat, but maybe it is these added ingredients that makes it clean so well. And if you drown in a gallon bucket while cleaning your gun you had Waaay too much of something other than water to drink. :crackup: :crackup:

But you are right about 1 thing, it is good for them Wet t-shirts ::

Now, I know you boys is referren to the use of damp cotton as a patch and cleaning material, so there will be no need for me to go fetch my Granny's old willow switches out of the umbrella stand.

Ain't that right? (he says, arms crossed and toe tapping on floor)

Exactly Stumpkiller, old wet cotton t-shirts for cleaning the bore on yer gun with some of that H2O that is OHHHH So good for cleaning. ::

Yep, poor 'ol Rat. :: Good thing that boy has a sense of humor huh? :: Actually, around this campfire, it helps for everyone to have one. But that's what makes this place so great. For the most part we all know when someone is just jerking our chain. Ain't that right Rat.
Ohh by the way, it sure is a good thing you didn't pick the name MuskRat, beings you have this aversion to water. :crackup: :crackup:

Last time I watched the Annimal Planet, Rats were pooooooooooooopin and a peeeeeeeeeeeein in the sewer pipe too ya know. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :youcrazy:

Woody

Yep usually I go by Desert Rat...and that's why!

Yessir Mr.Stumpy...I was referring to using a damp T-shirt to wipe down the stock.

:eek:

Cents of humor...what's that?

::

Don't need no extra slack...I'm a professional Slacker.

Rat

The first time I cleaned my barrel I didn't plug the touchhole or take the lock off, and water seeped behind the lockplate - I found out the next time I used it as it wouldn't cock because of rust. An embarrassing case of trial and error. I'm now hyper-sensitive to this, so take off the lock every time I clean and spray a light mist of gun lubricant on the interior, wiping off any excess. I also had some rust first time around the top of the hammer and around the frizzen spring, so rub on wonderlube (or use the wonderlube liquid) around the exterior moving parts too. I use a fair amount and wipe off the excess or pick off any clumps of lube with a sharpened matchstick. No problems since.

Latest posts

Back