• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Locks,leather,and rock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rles221

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old Traditions Kentucky rifle and am looking for a new lock I,ve looked at the L@Rs and have chosen the one thay say fits my rifle. Before I do I have a question for you all. Having tried all sizes of leather and flint I am unable to get the right clearance from frizzen. with the exception of very small pieces of flint i cant seem to get it the right size eny help would be great
thanks
Rick

If you get the L&R replacement lock, it should take a standard size flint without any problems. Not sure what size they use, but probably either a 5/8" or 3/4".

You might try cutting a hole in the back of the leather, so that the flint touches the screw. If that doesn't work, you can nibble a slight notch in the back of the flint so that it sets back further. Track of the Wolf used to sell square flints, as short as they were wide, that might be an option for you, too.

If you buy an L& R lock, I'll bet it doesn't have that problem, so you're probably good to go anyway.
:front:
Luck!
Gene

I have those flints and would have to 1/8 - 3/16 into the flint. Ive used small chunks for years and would like to just dress the flint every so ofter instead of break a ne piece every5-10 shots.
thanks for the ideas
rick

I still think that a new L&R lock will solve your problems. Sounds like your geometry is off.

Good luck!
Gene

I think you are right about the geomatry being off. A freind suggested i try cuting flints out a large piece of enlish flint and gave me large rock size itha flat side so i will set up my wet saw and see what happens.
thanks
rick

Back