• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lookin for the how to do and what to do

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70cannon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got me a 44 cap 'n' ball pistol, a long time ago, now and never fired it. Fact is, don't know how, to fire it. I got a Pedersoli 54 cal. flintlock pistol and have no problems with it. but the cap an ball revolver, don't hve no smarts figuring that one out.

Howz it done?

.451 ball + 20-30 grains 3f powder and ram it in the chamber...put a cap on the nipple and it's ready to fire.....simple as that...if you have any questions just ask...we are eager to give a helping hand!

It's against forum rules to post links to other muzzleloading forums and I respect Claude's rules. I hope he doesn't mind it if I mention that there is a nice set of tutorials on using black powder guns on a forum called The High Road. (Claude: I've looked through Member Resources here and not found a similar thread. Perhaps we should add one, or maybe I need to look harder?)
I'd also recommend the Lyman Black Powder Handbook, available at Amazon.com and other online book retailers.
There is a fine set of resources on many related subjects under Member Resources on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP...ye snuck that reference in very skillfully!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
but since we dont have a tutorial on loading a C&B pistol...I believer Claude will let it pass.

Izzat fer firing one chaber at a time. I herd somwhar that they chain fire, whatever that is.

Don't forget to seal the ends of the chambers or use an under wad to prevent chain fires from happening. Other advice is spot on. Have fun with that one.

Load each chamber and then smear com Crisco over the mouth of the chamber( over the ball). This will as some say keep chainfires ( more than one chamber firing at one) from happening...
You can buy other lubes online if you like...
or you can melt some crisco and Beeswax together...this is good also.
or as stated ....you can use pre cut wads
( available online) under the ball to keep chainfires from happening....

make that "the complete blackpowder handbook" by sam fadala published 2001 4th edition

i have both, and the 'complete' version really is much more thorough with numerous product comparisons, step-by-step procedures, etc..

the other one has a great set of tables, but none of the comparisons.

Richard Torlai said:
Izzat fer firing one chaber at a time. I herd somwhar that they chain fire, whatever that is.
Chain firing describes more than one chamber firing at almost the same time.

As others have mentioned, putting grease over the top of the ball after it is loaded into the chamber will prevent any flash from the firing chamber from getting into the next chamber from the front.
Using greased felt wads between the powder and the ball will do the same thing at a much higher price.

Another way the flash can get into the neighboring chambers is to sneak in thru the nipples if a cap falls off of them while the gun is being fired.

For this reason be sure to use caps that fit the nipples fairly tightly.
Some will say you can use a loose fitting cap if you pinch it so it is out of round before installing it and I admit I've used this method too.
I've also noticed that occasionally one of these pinched caps have fallen off from the recoil of the gun being fired so, if you use this technique be sure to look at the unfired caps after each shot is fired.

Without knowing whether it is a Colt or Remington type revolver, it's a little tricky to know what size ball you'll need, but .454" is a safe bet. You want a nice, even ring of lead shaved off the ball when you seat it and you want the ball seated on the powder charge--no air space. Say 25 or 30 grains of FFFg or the equivalent. The ball should sit even with the chamber mouth and not protrude past it. Lube the arbor--the axle the cylinder turns on before you load, and after you load you can put some lube over the ball if you want. It keeps fouling soft, but if you use the right size balls you don't need to worry about a chain fire from the cylinder's front. And if you use a ball that is too small, all the lube in the world won't stop a flash off. Make sure you have the proper size caps and that they are firmly seated on the nipples. Because loose caps or caps that fall off are the cause of chain fires. You are now ready to shoot.

Some like to shoot squib loads in their revolvers when target shooting and use breakfast cereals to make up the difference--Cream of Wheat for example. I suggest you get some experience shooting the gun the way the old timers did before you try this.

Latest posts

Back