• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a round ball rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's a percussion, Pyrodex-RS will do fine...used it for years in .45/.50/.54caliber percussions myself...it's just that since I switched to flintlocks and had to use actual BP for ignition sake, I found Goex to be so fast, clean, and accurate that I rezeroed my percussions to Goex also.

You might want to check your fired patches closely as heavy hunting loads will probably cause burn through patch failures on the thinner .015" cotton patches.

Options are to just put an Oxyoke wonderwad over the powder first and that'll cure it.

If you don't have any wonderwads on hand, you can just first seat a .015" prelubed patch on top of the powder by itself, then seat the patched ball as usual. (I used a screwdriver to center/start the spare patch down the bore).

However, the deep .012" grooves of the GM round ball barrel really beg for the thicker .018" prelubed pillow ticking for best[url] performance...in[/url] my 100grn hunting loads I use both an Oxyoke wonderwad and an .018" pillow ticking patch...such a tight seal you can pick up the patches and use them over again they're in such like new condition, accuracy is outstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should have asked some of you guys who had the .58 barrels before I ordered my patches. I may just go ahead and get some of the .018 ticking as I still need to find and order a sling that won't look to out of place on it. I can probably find a use for the thinner ones. I figured .600-.570 was .030 then divided by 2 was .015 but I know that experience means more than the math sometimes.

Back