• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a round ball rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking for a .50 cal percussion rifle. I want it in a 1-66 to 1-72 twist to shoot roundballs. What do you recommend or what do you use?

I use TC Hawkens with 1:66" RB barrels...also have one with a Green Mountain .58cal x 1:70" RB barrel.
TC Hawkens are an excellent quality production rifle for the money, and have a real lifetime warranty second to none

Another vote for the TC Hawken. The fit and finish on mine is excellant, and it's a shooter. I use 90gr Pyro RS with a .015 pre-lubed patch.

I'd have to vote for the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I shot one for years and only parted with it when I upgraded. It's also considerably more historically accurate than any of the TC's. The Lyman is a great rifle but I'd opt for 54 cal.

Vic

P3FE:
You don't say that you want an off the shelf factory built rifle, but I'm guessing that's what you mean.
I've had a slew of Thompson Centers, .50's and .54's in Renegade, White Mountain Carbine, Tree Hawk Carbine, Grey Hawk Carbine, one .32 Cherokee, everyone a capper, no flinters.
I still have I think 4 T/C rifles.
They have the BEST warranty in the business, great locks, very good triggers, good wood, nice fit and finish.
BUY THE LYMAN GREAT PLAINS RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why??
All the T/C rifles I own, all .50's wear Green Mountain barrels, both roundball and fast twist bullet shooters.
Good thing T/C has the best warranty in the business because I know I've sent at least 6 or more back in the past 30 years.
I have NEVER, not once had a T/C Barrel in the 1:48 twist that shot anything, r/b or sabots, or bullets really well at 100 yards. That's from the bench with sandbag rest.
Others claim stellar accuracy with the 1:48 twist, but accuracy is a relative term.
Some hit a pie plate at 75 yards and proclaim the rifle acurrate. If I have a rifle that would only do that well it would soon be a boat anchor or tomatoe stake, or head down the road to a new home.
The little White Mountain Carbine in .54 was a bullet shooting TACK DRIVER with it's 21" barrel, but it was 1:38 twist, not 1:48 and was made to shoot the big heavy Maxiball. (nice name for a bullet what?) Even so that particular rifle made the trip back to the factory. TWICE.
Seems T/C rifled them wrong and didn't even know it. The third barrel was 1:38 twist, oddly the .50's were (some of 'em) rifled 1:20??????????? Beats me.
The Gray Hawk 21" barrel in .54 was pure junk on the target range as was the .32 Cherokee with it's weird 1:20 twist.
The Tree Hawk I currently have (for sale) is a wonderful shooter with sabots or bullets, have not tried roundballs.
I have two Lymans, a GPR in .54 Flint, roundballer, and a GPH 1:32 twist .54 bullet shooter. Both wear Lyman peep sights, both shoot better than I can hold them.
Buy the Lyman, (well you did ask for advice hey), clean that awefull packing lube from the metal paying particular attention to the bore, clean up the stock a bit and you'll have a rifle that looks good 'nuff to be an original.
or go with the T/C for considerably more $$$$$$$$$$ and not as good in the accuracy department.

Often times there are many antecdotal comments from people about rifles other than the ones that they happen to prefer, but for the record, accuracy in TC Hawken rifles is excellent, you can pick up mint condition TC Hawkens on auctions most anytime in the $250 range...pour in some Goex and a Hornady ball and go deer hunting:
50cal8and7pointers2.jpg

I have owned a TC - I have shot many other's TC's - I only had to shoot 1 Lyman GPR RB twist gun to know instantly that it is a MUCH better rifle from shooting and asthetics than any other production rifle. It even feels "Right" in the hands.

I've owned 4 T/C percussion rifles, Two .54 Renegades, a .36 Seneca and a .50 New Englander. The Renegades shot roundballs well (one hole offhand groups at 25 yards not uncommon with my "squirrel load"), the Seneca was there too, but the New Englander doesn't handle them unless I keep it very light (like < 60 gr in a .50 cal.). Same gun loves Maxi-Hunters driven fast.

If I were doing it all over again I'd go with the GPR. A friend has one and it is a shooter, and it actually looks like an authentic plains rifle.

I have 3 T/C Renegades, a .50 and a .54 with 1/48" twist stock T/C barrels and one with a .58 Green Mountain 1/70" twist barrel. The Green Mountain barrel is much more acurate than the T/C barrels, when shooting round balls. I also have a GPR in .54 and it is extremely accurate. My advice, if buying new, would be to go with the GPR.

If you want to buy used, you could buy a T/C Renegade or Hawkens stock and lock on Ebay and then get a Green Mountain drop in barrel in round ball twist. That's how I got mine. I paid $110 for a used Renegade stock and new T/C lock, from Ebay, and $150 for the Greem Mountain barrel from Track of the Wolf. $260 total for one of the best shooting rifles I own.

here's my T/C hawken with a new grade 4 maple stock in .50 but it's a flinter....paid $410.00 for it from wal-mart and $200.00 for the stock from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply, Inc.
....4 deer with it last year one in the rain and i bought it in sept....

154672.jpg

..........................bob

I bought a brand new TC Renegade stock, complete with lock and other hardware for cheap. Then bought a GM .58 1 in 70" Twist barrel for $150. If I had not wanted a .58 I would have bought the Great Plains .50 or .54 in the 1 in 60" twist. If I decide to buy a whole rifle in one of the other calibers it will be a Great Plains. The 1" flats barrel would get mighty heavy as bore size decreased. The Great Plains is a fine lookin' rifle. If I hadn't already ordered moulds and stuff to go along with the .58 I might would still change my mind. Anybody want to trade? :winking:

Anybody want to trade? :winking:
You betcha. I'll trade ya a Navy Arms Zouave in .58 cal. with a 1-72" twist and ya can keep the mould and all the other stuff for a .58 cal. and be all ready. :thumbsup:

Anybody want to trade? :winking:
You betcha. I'll trade ya a Navy Arms Zouave in .58 cal. with a 1-72" twist and ya can keep the mould and all the other stuff for a .58 cal. and be all ready. :thumbsup:

:what::hmm: I guess that :winking: doesn't mean the same on this forum as it does on others. :winking: on some of the other forums means smart a__...ugh smart aleck. Thanks for the offer Rebel but :nono: I don't think I could trade without at least takeing it out for a shakedown cruise. :sorry: From what I hear those GM's are shooters.

Glazer, i was just joshin' ya. Well for the most part anyway. Didn't really expect ya to want to trade. But ya never know. :: Take care.

Glazer, if your GM .58 shoots as well as mine, and I suspect it will as I have read nothing but raves from others with the same barrel, then you will be very pleased. Mine will shoot <1.5" groups, at 50 yds., with any charge from 70-120 grains, .570 ball and .018 pillow ticking. I was going to get some .575 balls to try but it shoots so well with the .570 I don't know if I will even bother.

Same here...got a .58cal GM Flint barrel this spring and I've tried Hornady & Speer 570's with 80, 90, and 100grns Goex FFg...both print identically and are simply outstanding...just seems to hit whatever I point it at.

Zeroed at 50yds, the 100grn load only drops 3" at 100yds...just waiting for deer season to open ::

I'm gonna start with .570 roundball cast from a lyman mould from virgin pure lead from the plumbing supply house and .015 Wonder pre-lubed patches. If I don't get the desired accuracy I will step up to the .018 ticking or the .020 patches. Hopefully one of those will be the ticket. If I still don't get the desired accuracy I will order up the .575 mould and start over.

I still have to order/find some real black as all I have on hand is some pyrodex. Nobody around here (Lufkin, TX) seems to have it. I am not sure if I want to wait for the real stuff or go ahead and use of what I have or the pyrodex.

I just got in my mould, tubular brass ramrod and the rest of the small stuff. Brass ramrod really contrast well with the blued steel hardware.

Back