• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for Pits that allow shooting in Maine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65061

new to Black Powder and really enjoying it so far!
Reaction score
does anyone know of any pits outside of city limits where shooting my black powder revolver would be ok? i may be being cheap but my main reason wanting to use a pit vs a range is i want to be able to collect at least some of the shot lead to re cast bullets. central Maine area info preferred but any pits in Maine where i can legally shoot and allowed to do so would be welcome! thanx in advance

does anyone know of any pits outside of city limits where shooting my black powder revolver would be ok? i may be being cheap but my main reason wanting to use a pit vs a range is i want to be able to collect at least some of the shot lead to re cast bullets. central Maine area info preferred but any pits in Maine where i can legally shoot and allowed to do so would be welcome! thanx in advance
From my experience in Maine I get the the impression that most of it is private property. Shooters who have found a good shooting area on public property tend to keep it secret lest it be discovered by the orcs who leave broken glass and shot up appliances behind.

From my experience in Maine I get the the impression that most of it is private property. Shooters who have found a good shooting area on public property tend to keep it secret lest it be discovered by the orcs who leave broken glass and shot up appliances behind.
ya that makes sense n i kinda figured that would be the case, i can see how plastering locations online could be an issue. i know of one that is a HUGE area with several pits but its a pretty decent drive but alas beggers cant be choosers.

https://www.gunownersofmaine.org/ranges

I know there are more than that, search around a little on the net and you'll come up with others.

Also a lot of people hunt/shoot in the North Maine Woods, it is pay to access though

ya that makes sense n i kinda figured that would be the case, i can see how plastering locations online could be an issue. i know of one that is a HUGE area with several pits but its a pretty decent drive but alas beggers cant be choosers.
Yep, sad situation. Had more than one of my favorite shooting area get discovered by yahoos, then trashed, which led up to the appearance of fences and "no shooting" signs. I sometimes go shooting with my sister's kids when we visit them near Pittsfield ME. They're lucky to have a friend with nice property which he lets them shoot on. Would be nice if a guy could just buy a few acres to set up a range. Back in the early 80's when my parents bought land in Maine, property in the non touristy areas was dirt cheap...I don't imagine that's the case so much anymore.

Where are you located? Join the Ancient Ones Of Maine.
Nit Wit
im in central Maine by waterville area. ancient ones of maine is a website or a local group? very new to black powder so i dont know anyone in the community

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806_185714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_185714_Chrome.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure the law.

I don't know about sand pits.. but fire roads power line I've thought up there.. that's maybe further north you'll find more..

Sebago area.. Private land right out the back door of his house.. I had a neighbor right next door.. gun crazy. Shot right there all day.

I was around for a winter.. Skowhegan area... it was ok. Didn't stay long though.

Back