• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gungeek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen or used one of these matchlocks...?How well are they put together and where are they made?

Thx,
[url] http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/matchlockmusket.html[/url]

Scotty, :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I handled a matchlock like this a few years ago, I'm not sure if it was a Loyalist though. It seemed faily well put together for a manufactured gun. The inletting was adequate, not very precise but not sloppy either. I have no idea how the breech plug and threads were however, as I didn't know enough to check those things then. :hmm: It was a smoothy and hit the paper I was aiming at from about 30 yards. :) I only shot it once. :(

If you want to have some real fun though, build your own! There are several threads on the site about building matchlocks. Pitchy Pine just finished one up. He's a great guy and would answer any questions you threw at him. The mechanism is relatively simple and if you have a hacksaw, a good set of files, and a drill press, and a few other small tools you can pick up at the local DIY you can make your own lock. The stocks on these things are not very intricate and can be made from a bandsaw blank. If you make it to any rendevous or gun shows you can pick up a used barrel real cheap. I bet you would spend a whole lot less than $630 on it even if you added a new rasp and a few gouges and chisels into the cost. The bug's got me. :youcrazy: Hell, I think I just talked me into building one when this dog gone Tulle's done! :surrender: :rotf:

Lots of great guys here, lots of great help. :hatsoff:

:v Probably Teleoceras will chime in here---from what he has said they make a fine gun. I have no experience with them however. :hmm:

Gungeek:

:v Probably Teleoceras will chime in here---from what he has said they make a fine gun. I have no experience with them however. :hmm:

Actually, Loyalist Arms lost me as a customer years ago when they built a Wheellock for me. :cursing:

I had to send her back a couple of times. They have a very bad habit of changing things on the gun without me asking because they liked it. Not kidding. I finally had to have Leonard Day fix up the lock mechanism so that I could use her for shooting.

Also the Matchlock Muskets they sell are from India now.

IMO, if you are looking for a good builder, John Buck is the one man I can recommend since he builds a very good Matchlock. I own two of his creations. :bow:

I know there are a few other builders out there, but I can only comment on ones that I had dealings with.

It is a shame that Jurgen Kreckle retired since his Matchlocks were fantastic too. I was lucky enough to get one of the last ones he built. :(

Going to go to Islip now and shoot Sparky.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Gungeek,
I have been to Loyalists shop near Halifax and looked at some of his stock and talked with Blair Higgens(The owner)Providing some of his guns just aren't for me(I'm into the shooting of them)Most he had "looked" to be cheaply made and kinda junky.However I'm sure in a couple of hours you could drive there and look for yourself.
Also,There is a guy that belongs to the Blue Mountain Club that has a matchlock...Not sure though if he is building it or had it built.
His name is Brian Macadoo.

:redface: I stand corrected thanks for your advice---I remembered you had a gun from them and I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to your posts---it was a long time ago and in another "place". Woe is me :shake:

Pasquenel:

:redface: I stand corrected thanks for your advice---I remembered you had a gun from them and I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to your posts---it was a long time ago and in another "place". Woe is me :shake:

Trust me, I had a very frustrating day with Sparky again if you read my other post.

If anything, it reinforces my opinion of Loyalist Arms. :cursing:

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I guess I am the only one with positive experiences from loyalist??
Everyone of their muskets I have bought from them After a few hours work are far superior to anything I have seen and handeled from italy..
Mine shoot good and the locks are fantastic..

But I suppose everyone has their own experiences.

As far as their matchlock goes...I bet its a good one..

But I have to agree that after seeing all the scratch builds on this site I will be going that route now...

Chees / Rob

Where is this one made?
[url] http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/japanesematchlockcarbine.html[/url]

Scotty, :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I worked for Blair, at Loyalist Arms, and while I am not an expert, I know that he does take quite a bit of care with his guns. They do come from India, but when they arrive they are disassembled, the wood is refinished, the lock is timed and inlet properly, and then the geometry is tweaked if necessary. I have made and fired over 50 guns for Blair/Loyalist and I have fired that particular matchlock. I would definitley stand behind their guns.

Cheers
Paul

Back