• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
co_elkeater said:
Am purchasing unlubed maxiballs. Looking for suggestions at lubing them.
I lubed a few boxes of unlubed Maxi-Hunters years ago using one of T/C's "Luber" attachments that screwed onto the end of a tube of their Natural Lube 1000.
And just recently, I lubed some new .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. conicals introduced by member 'oldnamvet' from a custom mold he had made...and used the following approach with Oxyoke Bullet Lube.
============================================================
Lubing the conicals turned out easy...hardest part was calculating / finding the right size containers to stand the little conicals in so my limited supply of melted lube would rise up high enough to cover all the grease grooves.

Melted the lube in the microwave using a cap off of a can of shaving cream, and the lid from a mayonnaise jar was the perfect height for the conicals.

Arranged 20 conicals leaving an opening in the middle, poured the melted lube into the middle, then put the last conical down in the middle opening.

Let it all cool, then using a large size plastic drinking straw from a local fast food place, slid it down around one conical after another until the straw was filled up. Each straw holds / stores about 8-10 .40cal conicals.

052512Lubing40cal200grnREALconicals.jpg

co_elkeater said:
Thanks roundball, I'll carry a .54 bullet with me till I find a suitable straw or whatever
For that large of a diameter, you might find a snug fitting piece of tubing at a hardware / home supply store

I lube my .58 Minie balls with a mixture of lard and beeswax. In this part of the country (Texas) some of the commercial lubes tend to melt in the summer.
Run them through a .577 sizing die to compress the lube into the grooves.

I bought most of the stuff to make the lube Gatofeo mentions (2 parts paraffin, 2 parts mutton tallow, and 1 part beeswax) that I'll be using for the felt wads I'll be making.

Should I change up the ratios for lubing conicals? I live in Texas where it's hot all the way through fall.

I don't have a lube sizer setup.

If you are planing to use Pyrodex or Triple 7 use Planet Waves step #2 wood instrument finish product.Tumble on and it dries fairly hard in a couple hours.With black powder it gums up and wont work.It is Carnauba wax in a petroleum distillate.

George

Best way to figure that out is mix up some different ratios and leave a sample in a windowsill when it can get sunlight.

Some people like Crisco but I prefer plain old lard. I could probably get tallow but don't think that makes that much difference as my minies are in paper cartridges and aren't exposed to that much heat.

Haven't tried my mixture for patch lube; I use mink oil and that holds up well in the heat on the shooting bench.

If you don't have a sizer you can try dipping the bullets in melted lube, let it harden, roll the bullet under a block of wood on a hard surface a couple of times and wipe it off gently. A bit messy and if you intend to make a quantity investing in the DGW sizer is worth it.

I too am from far South Texas and use a beeswax oliveoil mixture. I don't have a lube sizer but with .575 minies I just melt the lube in a pan until it is liquid then with a pair of needle nose pliers grab the nose of the bullets and dip them in the lube until the lube covers the grease grooves and pull them out and stand them on a piece of waxed paper. They dry in seconds. any excess lube is removed when they are loaded in your gun. This works well for me and several others just give it a try. You don't have to squeeze the bullet hard enough to mark them.
I like the idea of storing them in a soda straw but haven't found one to fit the bullets I have.
Fox :thumbsup:

Back