• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lubing patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

36 Cl.
Reaction score
OK I have tried to prelude patches and have had mixed results. Worst results patch was to wet and powder would not ignite. So when you prelube patches do you wring them out are press them just how do you remove excess moisture.

I like my patches to be just damp. But then, I wipe between shots with a rubbing alcohol dampened patch. If @Brownie is using the very wet patch to prevent the need to wipe fouling from the bore between shots at the target range, then he will need to load an over powder card to separate the powder from all that moisture.

I like beeswax and olive oil, in a loose ointment consistency. That's just me.
simpsons-bart.gif

Have to say, I’ve never felt a liquid prelubed patch fouled the powder, if shot immediately after loading. I’ve used dawn/water mixture, Hoppes BP lube and spit In various concentrations. Had a discussion with an old timer who figured if the load is tight, except for the exact center diameter of the ball, the lube will be squeezed out atop your ball and spread on the rifling or smooth barrel as you seat you load. Am wondering what caliber, powder charge, ball and patch dimensions are in this trouble firearm and how long it’s setting between completed load and firing. I’ve shot next to people who fill a shallow container with their chosen lube and lay rows of patches in it. The patches are soaked with lube and that’s how they shoot all day.

OK I have tried to prelude patches and have had mixed results. Worst results patch was to wet and powder would not ignite. So when you prelube patches do you wring them out are press them just how do you remove excess moisture.
Just use whatever grease you want and do small batches. Don't have to lube a million of them at a time. :)

What are you using as a wet lube and are what are you using it for? Plinking, target shooting ,trail walk?

Back